hydrallics ruined from pull behind aerator

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by GREEN MAN, Jun 28, 2006.

1. GREEN MAN

GREEN MAN LawnSite Member

Has anybody heard of the hydrallic system on a ztr being ruined from pulling a pull behind aerator? :confused:

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I had 3 hydro problems in 2 years with out pulling anything. Depends on what you have for a Z and what its limits are and where and how you use it. Some machines are built for speed and others are built for climming and have torque.

3. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

I am not sure about the Z, but i know we blew out a pump on a piece of equipment from pulling one. Fortunately in our case warranty kicked in.

4. brizz

brizz LawnSite Member

Buy a Dixie Chopper with Quad Loop 2000lb. tow capacity

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Certain manufacturers do not suggest towing with their ZTR's.

Pull behind aerators can get heavy. Turning them while going UPhill would be worst case. You have the most drag, AND your only using ONE wheel motor for all the weight.

With some it can be done, but I wouldn't suggest it.

Also....with DC's 2K tow capacity...that could be misleading. They are NOT talking about draw bar tow weight. As if you put a big fish scale on your hitch. Rather, they don't want you pulling a trailer in excess of 2K lbs. There is a difference.

6. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to tow an aerator make sure the Mower will handle the load. The mower should have at least an external cooling system for the oil and enough capacity in the hydro motor to handle the load. Aerators are not that bad to tow but some Zs are at the hydro limit just moving the tractor around. Check with the mower mfg. before towing anything.