Hydraulic Breaker on the Backhoe of JD 110 TLB

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by waltero, Jul 18, 2005.

1. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

I am interested in the John Deere 110TLB and I work in an area that has lots of rocks. I would like to be able to break up the rock and possibly make more money off of this kind of work. I currently have a kubota 3130 with backhoe, box blade, and a york rake. I am looking to upgrade the tractor next year and I would like to also get a harley rake. I will be getting the auger that attaches to the backhoe already and I am interested in the Hammer, but my concern is how hard is it on the machine? John Deere literature talks as if there is little damage done to the backhoe and it would be a nice feature to have, but I am concerned that it may beat the machine up, if you know what I mean. If you have experience with the hammers on excavators please let me know how hard is it going to be on the John Deere and also how capable do you think this unit is. I dig into earth that has many rocks some large, some small. The rock have seams and they do kind of break up sometimes just using the backhoe so I don't think I would have too much trouble but I have not used one before so I don't know. I also do some light demolition, concrete patios, walls, etc.... whatever work I can find. I will also be getting the hydraulic thumb on this unit to help with the removal of rocks once the are dug up. I added some of the specs below so that you have some numbers to look at. I appreciate your help on this one. It is also going to be approx. a $9,000 upgrade on the price of the tractor but I figure that it comes back to you in the increased fees that I can charge once I hit rock. Also what does it add to the value of the job, etc... how much more do you think that I can add to the price per day. Currently I charge about 300.00 a day for my machine and I figure that the price would go up quickly with that attachment. Again, Thanks for your help.

hydraulic hammer allows the John Deere 110 Tractor Loader Backhoe to accomplish many demolition
    implement makes the 110 TLB particularly useful to building contractors who need to remove concrete
    or foundations to complete their jobs. Used in combination with the hydraulic thumb attachment,
    accomplish removal and clean up of concrete flatwork quickly and efficiently. For those not familiar with hydraulic
    breakers, this is the one to get to know.
    Worksite Pro HB50 Hydraulic Breaker is ideal for the 110 Backhoe.
    High power-to-weight ratio to efficiently break through hard surfaces.
    Appropriate weight to reduce rebound back through backhoe structures.
    Slim, compact design works well in narrow trenches and tight demolition applications.
    Multi-fit side plates allow the hammer to be easily fit to other machines in fleet to leverage investment.
    hydraulic hammer uses modern technology to efficiently perform its work without damage to the backhoe.
    Uses the tractor hydraulic system to obtain most of its firing power with the aid of a “gas assist” cycle,
    than a high pressure gas accumulator to obtain firing power.
    low pressure nitrogen gas chamber cushions firing piston recoil to protect the backhoe during the “rebound”
    “cocking” stroke. This results in a significant reduction in shock loads passed through the backhoe structure.
    Fully hydraulic design protects the tractor hydraulic circuit so that no surge-damping accumulators
    service is simple, with all parts serviceable, unlike some competitors who require component exchange.
    Dependable performance with only two moving parts.
    Very few seals and no special tools required for repair.
    No diaphragms or plugs in firing head.
    Precision machined and plated components offer long life.
    Backhoe must be equipped with seven-function standard dipperstick (Order Code 8220). Backhoe
    equipped with Backhoe Bucket Quick-Coupler Interface. Requires Rear Demolition Protection Screen
    Impact Energy - lb-ft (N•m) 500 (678)
    Blows per Minute 600-1080
    Operating Weight - lb. (kg) 540 (245)
    Diameter - in. (mm) 2.6 (65)
    Length - in. (mm) 46 (1168)
    Outside Width - in. (mm) 10.5 (267)
    Width Inside Side Plates - in. (mm) 6.5 (165)
    Height - in. (mm) 21.5 (546)
    Required Oil Flow - gpm (lpm) 6.7–12.0 (25–45)
    Nitrogen Gas Pressure - psi (kPa) 140–160(965–1103)
    Operating Pressure - psi (kPa) 1430-1850(9860-12755)
  2. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Hammers are hard on all equipment. Just find someone that has one and look at the pins and bushings on there machine.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

A hammer would be really tough on that backhoe. If your maintenance was extremely perfect for running a hammer (greasing every hour, rotating your bits, chisels, etc.) I think you would be okay, but it's no joke that they are hard on equipment. I think someone told me a hammer accelerates wear on bushings and pins by 10 times or something like that, either way, it's alot of wear.
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A hammer beats the shiat out of your machine they are not worth it they work fine on excavators I wouldn't put one on a rubber tired backhow too many extra pins to wear out.

If you are really interested in a rock breaker try find a 161 Kubota sized machine one that is got some hours on it and you would make it a dedicated breaker machine.

The one contractor I worked for has a breaker on a 200 sized excavator the boom cracked from the continous use of the breaker and the pins are worn. The machine eventually shakes itself apart from the constant viberation.

The only time a breaker is good is for breaking up a hard rock nub in a trench that can't be dug out. A breaker is good for breaking up concrete that is too thick to break up with the bucket.

The thing that breaks up rock the best is blasting a couple holes drilled a couple sticks of dynamite and the job is done.
  5. Krois Landscaping

Krois Landscaping LawnSite Member

If you have work for the hammer go for it. Where i work we have hammers for almost every machine, Cat 305s, 308, 314, 320 and the 420/426 backhoes. Hammering does beat on the machines, just grease the hammer ever hour and grease the machine everyday.

I do not believe with the statement that hammers are only worth it on excavators, must be another comment coming from someone whos never used one.

The old 426 has almost 7k hours and is still in decent shape, even after using a hammer most of its life. The 320 is in great shape with 6500 hours. Its all in how you maintain stuff, if you have junk equipment and put a hammer on it and don't maintain it, i'm sure it'll break.
  6. Gravel Rat

Uhhm no I'am from a place where 90% of the work we do involves blasting of some sort. The ground we have to dig can be so hard that it rips teeth and shanks off buckets ripping off a tooth is common.

You can't tell me that I don't know anything about breaking up rock I used to do blasting. Trust me hammers are only good to a point when it come to hard rock you need to drill holes and use dynamite or Amex.

Trust me I work around hell of alot tougher conditions than you guys that dig in sand. Working on steep slopes where the excavator can barely sit without siding so don't try tell me I don't know anything.

The machines here last max 10,000hrs usually the undercarriage has been rebuilt once the machine needs a complete rebuild. Rubber tired backhoes are a thing of the past mini excavators ie 11,000lb-18,000lb machines have replaced backhoes for utility work.

Anyhow if you really want to buy a hammer go ahead your really not going to make tons of money with it because your machine will be worn out in no time.

The hammer that the contractor I worked for cost him 45,000 dollars just for the hammer the only reason why he bought it was its handy for him to have it doesn't make him big money. When they run the hammer its usually going for 8 to 12 hours a day if they are on a decent sized job its 7 days a week.

I forget the rating of the breaker I think its a 5000Ftlb unit.

To give you a idea how tough our digging conditions are we buy machines from the East coast or eastern parts of North America because excavators are in better shape because they never ever see hard digging conditions. A machine back east with 10,000 hours is like brandnew compared to machine here.

To sum it up I have been around heavy equipment since I was 15 years old so close to 15 years of experience working around excavation and logging equipment. I started drilling and blasting when I was 15 the drill I used to use weighed close to 100lbs it ran off our 600cfm diesel compressor.

So Krois if you want to argue with me about excavating go ahead I imagine the conditions you have to work in is a cake walk to what we do here. I do have another question does your machines have a extra 1000lbs worth of guarding on it to protect it from the conditions you work in ?

Do you run your machines on slopes steep enough that you need the seat belt to hold you in the operators seat ?
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, a guy asks about a breaker and there's an argument about who has the toughest job? C'mon now...And yeah, I do have to wear a seatbelt to keep myself on the machine, but I'm in the Northwest as well, climbed a 40 degree slope today with our 303 with rubber tracks. I'm sure there was probably a better machine to move 300 yards of material on a slope to level a spot for a pool but hey, lifes a challenge.

Anyway, breakers are almost like a luxury option, like something to make your life easier. I'm sure there's work for them, but I would hesitate to go out and buy one the same day I bought a brand new machine. I would test the market a while and see if you get any calls for breaker work. Then figure out if you could justify the cost from there. I don't advise against the breaker because it can be a very resourceful tool to enhance an existing business, but not a piece that should be purchased right from the start without looking into the potential market for such a service.
  8. Gravel Rat

If you are in the utility bus and you run into large nuggets that you don't want to try dig out a breaker can save you some head aches. A guy I know used a breaker on a 325 Bobcat mini to bust up a rock shelf it took him close to a week of breaking which created about 16 yards of material. The same job could have been done using dynamite in 4 hours all they would have to do is drill 4 holes 3-4' deep with half a stick per hole.
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

There's 2 problems with dynamite 1) You have to posess a demo license 2) If you're working anywhere close to houses forget using dynamite.
  10. Gravel Rat

We have blasting contractors that can do the job it may cost you some money but its well worth it. The blasters use dynamite in peoples basements to get rid of rock shelfs that the house was built over.

There are other pnuematic (sp) rock breaking that breaks rock with out dynamite.

There are alot of places where a rock breaker on a machine can't go but a air drill and hose can go and the spoil is moved either by hand or a mini excavator is used.