Hydraulic Breakers

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by wanabe, May 14, 2011.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

OK, I have been looking arround at a used Hydraulic Breaker for my CTL, but have no clue what to look for. How can I tell a good unit from a trashed out junk unit? How about the nitrogen charge? Is it expensive to refill? Is it bad news if the charge is gone? Thanks

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Give the point a shake and wiggle, lots of wiggle room and a short point means lots of use. The nitrogen chamber(s) need to be pressurized and kept under a pressure gauge over night to check for a leak, no pressure and it can blow out your hydraulic system.

If there are any internal leaks between the oil passages and the upper chambers, the grease used for lubrication can migrate up into the oil flow and cause a "stroke" in your machine's pumps, that's how my Dad's hammer killed the Hitachi ZX27 last year.

They are very tough to buy used unless it's certified rebuilt, but a hammer no bigger than 500 impact pounds would be good on a 3 ton skiddy.

AVOID Bobcat's used hammers like the plague, go towards Caterpillar, Deere, Rammer and Stanley brands, they are all good.

3. obie

obie LawnSite Member

Check out a kent kf3 or kf4. I have been running the same Kent kf3 for 10 years it has never let me down. I have a kent kf5 for sale. It is most likely to big for your unit. Runs great on 236b or larger cat hydraulics but hits to hard for 4" concrete. Do not uses your breaker point as a pry bar. Good luck-make money.

4. wanabe

from So. IL

How can I check the nitrogen pressure? What is the normal pressure range? Thanks

5. bobcat_ron

Check the owners manuals for the correct pressures, don't try to do it yourself unless you have the right tools and pressure setting.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

My experience has been the the different hammers have a proprietary adaptor on them to check the N level.

I have had a Stanley/Bobcat breaker and now an Okada. The Stanley hit hard for years until finally the accumulator went out. I put it on a RB sale and still got 2500 for it. Only paid 4600 brand new. My Okada is a better breaker, its easier on the couplers and after 5 years still has not needed a shot of N. I am very happy with it.

7. WillieWonka1850

WillieWonka1850 LawnSite Fanatic

What ever happened to the ZX27, Ron? Did you guys fix it or what? I'm curious...

8. bobcat_ron

Still going strong, Dad just had the entire jackhammer rebuilt, top to bottom, the way it should have been. The rebuilders said it was in pretty bad shape inside, blown seals and scored and scarred pistons.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. hammer66

hammer66 LawnSite Member

i have had good luck with npk breaking mostley ledge and granite boulders .we bought ours new for about $100,000 onley changed the tool twice since 2005 the host is a 330 cat excavator. it is critical to grease the tool often,you can replace the tool bushing,check the bolts on the rubber mounts for breakage hope this helps a little.

10. wanabe

from So. IL

Ok, I found a older NPK unit, 500lb. The owner(second owner) said he bought it 10 years ago, used it for one small job, then parked it(outside). Said it worked good 10 years ago, but has not used it since. Would you buy one that has been laying outside in the weather for 10 years, Or do I steer clear of this one? The owner is asking $1750, but seems to be willing to deal on it. If I do buy it, do I need to have the local NPK dealer take a look at it before I run it? Thanks