1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic Cylinder Shortening?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CCWKen, Dec 20, 2004.

1. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

I've got a couple of 54" cylinders I need to shorten to about 40" (compressed). Anyone have some pointers or "watch" items they'd like to give? Do these types of cylinders have a "stop" in the bottom? (To keep the piston away from the weld area.)

I should be able to extend the piston and keep it cool during re-weld. The system is 2000psi and the cylinders only 2". These are going on a small tractor front-end loader I'm building.
  2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

You're going to have be in excess of 450+ amps to get a full fusion weld on 2", even then the areas on both sides of the welds are going to be weaker than before. In the interest of safety you should get new cylinders. Try www.surpluscenter.com

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Find a place that specializes in rebuilding hydraulic cylinders. In many cases, they can do an exchange with you for a little money, or they are fully prepared to shorten the cylinders you have.
  4. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

LOL. By 2" I mean 2" diameter. The wall thickness is probably .120". You guys send your lawnmowers to the dealer to change plugs?

Thanks for the replies but this is like cut and paste.
  5. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

wich part do you want to shorten the ram or the barrel i have welded a ram before and i cut a barrel and put on a new end i uesd super missle rod a very high tensil rod on the ram and 7018 on the barrel you have to make sure it is very clean so there is no imperfections in the weld and watch ffor undercuting
  6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Well...cut and paste away dude! Let us know how it turns out!