Hydraulic ditch bucket

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Mini man, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

The ditch bucket I was supplied with for my Cat 303.5 C cr is an aftermarket and I have a couple of issues.
    First...when I got it the dealer had to install a flow restrictor in one of the lines because as soon as you would try to angle it the thing would move at the speed of light! There was no way to control it....the flow restrictor has hepled.
    Second and more annoying is that as soon as the bucket contacts hard ground it will not hold the angle I have set it at....it is like digging with a rubber bucket LOL.
    What would be the likely problem?
  2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The cylinder on the bucket may not be holding or the valve on the machine is not holding. You may try lock it into an angle position and turn the valve on the stick to prevent hyd. flow back to the machine. I am assumeing you have a valve on the stick of the machine just above your hyd. connections for the bucket. If the bucket does not bleed off and holds its set position then the valve on the machine may have a problem. You may not see a lot of movement in the bucket cylinder with the valve closed but will give some until the pressure is against the valve on the stick which most likely will not give.
  3. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

The one to two way flow valve may be part open letting off pressure,and let the bucket move?

4. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

I am able to shut off the flow at the stick so I will try that.....They ( dealer ) went cheap on me with aftermarket...I should have insisted on CAT
  5. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

MiniMan....what size and make of tilt-bucket did you get? Cost? I just ordered a 60" tilt bucket made by CEAttachments and paid over $5k for it. What type of work to you have planned for this little adventure?