hydraulic dump kit for truck bed

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tpirobert, Nov 9, 2000.

1. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

Has anyone experience converting stock truck bed to dump? Northern Tool has a kit for $850. I have 8' bed on Chevy 3/4 ton and want to dump small loads of mulch, brush etc.. I have mesh sides/ladder rack that allow hauling 4+ cu.yd. of mulch. A brand new 1 ton dump would be nice, but don't need to spend big $ or take on more debt at this time. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know how they would work. Wouldn't the bed hit the cab when raising? I would stick to Truck Craft aluminum dump bed inserts. Plus you would never get your load to slide over your wheel wells. Anyone have the inserts? I would be interested, but there goes the looks of your nice pickup.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

$850 for a pick up dump bed sounds like a good price. My local JD dealer wants $550 for a Gator dump bed!
  4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We had one of those rams on a Ford 1ton worked real good, We went to E-Z Dumper inserts instead but those rams work good and if you cant or dont want a EZ Dumper that is a very good second choice.
  5. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

More Info:

Shipping weight of kit is 200 lbs.
    Load capacity is 4000lbs.

How much weight are dump inserts & what is capacity?
    I think my plastic bed insert would help loads slide out OK, but don't know for sure.
  6. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I personally don't have one, but my best friend who farms, has them on a couple of trucks. It works great. You Have to lift the bed to fuel up though. They lift round bails with it easily. Also they removed the bumper because of the reese hitch. If you put a DMI bumper on I think it works better. But not sure how it all works.
  7. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

a standard Ez-dump weighs 670 pounds and the system will dump up to 6000 pounds......so basically u can dump how ever much weight your truck can handle. Ez-dump makes one of the best dump inserts. i think if u were to turn your bed into a dumper you would run into a lot of problems. They DODN'T manufacture truck bed to be able to dump. I payed $2200 w/ install for my ez-dumper and it has been one of the most vital assests over the last few months. If u cant afford a dump truck and ez-dumper is the way to go.
  8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We ran a load handler in our truck. worked ok but the mat only fits between fenderwells. So you have alot of material (whatever your hauling) stuck where load handler cant go. Load handler also doesnt like to move leaves when your hauling them do to they have no weight so what we did was stuck some cinderblocks at the end of the loadhandler tarp so it would unload, another problem we had with loadhandler unless your truck has a spray in liner or a plastic liner (YUK) it will really damage bed if hauling stone and dirtgets cuaght under tarp and ouch!!. We learned our lesson and went with the dump ram with a spray in liner to protect bed worked nice. After a period of time moved up to the E-Z Dumper even better. Its like this you buy what you need and dont settle for something that might work when you can get something that does work (you have to spend money to make money!!!) Its like mowing a ball field, do you use a 21" mower or buy a 48" or bigger mower to do the job!!! Start with the ram if you cant get the EZ DUMPER dont settle for anything else.
  9. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I have an EZ dump in one of my trucks. The same one has been through three trucks. It will dump more than the truck is rated to carry. The problems I have heard with the kits that convert the bed of your truck into a dump are:
    1) The dead spaces behind the fenderwell
    2) The location of the hitch.
    3) Most importantly-The bed of your truck is not designed to hadle the weight at the mounting points. I have seen a bed that the mounting hardware pushed through. For light stuff it would be OK but don't try any soil or stone.
    If you want a dump-buy an insert or a dedicated dump truck or trailer.