Hydraulic Fluid/Filter Change

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GravelyGuy, Dec 5, 2006.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

My Gravely 34 Z has 270 hours on it and I have never changed the fluid or filter. I was cleaning it yesterday and I noticed that the filter has a minor dent in the side of it. It looks like the blade belt slapped it when it snapped a few weeks back. I called and the filter is $32.00 and they have to order it. Am I fine to use this filter with the small dent? I don't think it would restrict oil flow. How often do you guys do this maintenance? I think the book says like every 400-500 hours.

Thanks...

2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

500 hrs. is good, if you have a problem it want be because of not changing the hydraulic oil and filter before 500 hrs.

3. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

$32.00 FREAKING DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!! are they nuts? An Hydr oil filter for a Deere 757 is only $11.50 and I know that I could cross that with a diffrent brand if I really wanted to! and save some money but it is just conveinent for us to pick them up at the Deere dealer. I would shop around a little I think if I was you. I am loyal to Deere but if they were half of that $32.00 I think that I would start shopping around.

4. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

That's what I said. The other dealer in town is $27.00. They are always a little cheaper, but I got my mower from the other guys so I feel that I should stay loyal to them for the time being. Just curious how much are the blades for your Deere? Mine are at least $35.00 a piece, I think more like $37.00. The last ones I got I ordered online for less than half the price;)

5. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a pretty fat mark-up. The first Donaldson air filter I replaced on my exmark was $26.00 from the dealer. I ordered the same donaldson part# from my Cat dealer where I work at night. Our dealer cost(what I pay)was $7.50, so I ordered a case of filters. I have crossed all of my oil filters to wix and donaldson numbers. Hydraulic filters are finer micro than engine oil filters and are normally more expensive, but $32.00 is a little high. But how many times would you have to replace it?

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Cross the filter. You can probably get it from napa for 10 bucks or less.

7. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

that is one big thing that turned me on Gravely,the cost of blades,belts and filters,and the so called dealer 45min away.

8. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

You think that is bad a was quoted $100.00 to change the hydraulic fluid in my plow. I basically told the place to @#$^ themselves.

9. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

I didn't know I could get things like this from Napa. If I call and give them the # will they be able to tell me what I will need? When I replaced the deck belt it was over $50 with taxes. I don't know if this is good or bad.

About the blades, I don't know if other companies use marbane steel, but Gravely blades are really tough. They only need replaced if you hit a rock or metal.

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

If you can give me the brand and part number off the filter you have now, I can cross it for you and give you the napa number if there is one.