Hydraulic fluid leaking out of screw top on the reservoir ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pinnacle, Nov 8, 2003.

1. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I've got hydro fluid leaking out of the top of my reservoir where the cap goes on. I was thinking It was due to going over some steep terrain the other day but nup..........I just backed it off the trailer and the same thing is going down. Also the screw thread is fine.
    This is a "new" mower and only has 8 hrs on it and It has NO dipstick in the reservoir so I can't tell if it's over full or not.
    The dealer gave me an owners manual but its for the Chariot jr not the Chariot so I'm a little peed about that but I'll get the correct manual on Tuesday.

I need a quick fix!

BTW: these hydro tanks are built to breath out the top[ where the cap goes on..............Correct??
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Had the same problem with a new lazer HP. The cap was leaking after 2 hours use. It was a 2 piece cap (breather). got a new cap from the dealer off a floor model and have not had a problem since. I don't believe the 2 piece cap was made right,the inner insert was too loose.
  3. pinnacle

I'll try a new cap mate!

Much appreciated.

Have a good one!
  4. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

If the new cap don't do it, it probably is just overfilled. I brought my lazer hp in to get a new belt and they filled up the hydro fluid for me. They put a little to much and I was having the same problem. Just took a little out and it was good to go. No more leaking or anything.
  5. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

use a long screwdriver.
  6. pinnacle

Thanks Jason I will have a good look at the level when I get the correct owners manual. I don't even know what full and add is with this Chariot Jr manual and no dipstick.

There is a screeming sound coming from the wheel motors now so I'm assuming that it's not got enough fluid in the resiviour cause it keeps leeking?????????????
  7. pinnacle

Even still Lawn Boy Pro I wouldn't even know where the fluid is spose to be cause I aint got noting on the fluid levels.

Good idea though..................Thanks!
  8. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a manual, find out how many quarts or whatever measurment thy use in "de land down under" and fill it up till you put that amount in. Then get a wooden dowel, stick it in to the bottom, pull it back out, then mark it with a permenant marker where the full level is. PRESTO, you got a measuring stick:blob2: :D
  9. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Im not sure if it can really get to low, as long as it doesnt suck air in the pumps, If you fill it to high it will leak out the breather til it is low enough.
  10. pinnacle

Lawn Boy Pro......................Thanks!
    I don't know what the required amount is cause I've got the wrong manual and they COULD be different as far as fluid levels go???

Ryan...................Point taken................Thanks!!!
    I just don't think it sould be making the sounds it is at the moment. It'll be in at the dealer toworow for a FREE WARENTEE covered service I hope.

Touch wood :)