Hydraulic fluid on our St Augustine

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Dixiesmom, May 17, 2004.

1. Dixiesmom

Dixiesmom LawnSite Member
    from Austin

When the garbage truck came by a few weeks ago they had a leak and sprayed hydraulic fluid on our St Augustine. We sprayed it with some soap and water but it still appears to be dieing. What can we do to save this spot on our otherwise healthy lawn?

2. rander

rander LawnSite Member

Dixiesmom:

Although i haven't had a problem with hydraulic fluid I have had experience with motor oil spilled on a lawn. There probably isn't much you can do to save the grass that was sprayed with hydraulic oil. How you repair it depends on how much oil was sprayed on the area. If it was just a little on the surface you may be able to remove the dead grass and replace the area with some new St. Augustine sod. Or since St Augustine is a creeper it will eventually fill in the dead area but this may take a while. If it was enough hydraulic oil to soak the ground under the grass you have a bit more of a problem because the grass will not regrow in the oil soaked earth. In that case you will have to remove the contaminated sod and an inch or two of soil. Then replace the soil with good topsoil, pack it a little and sod it or wait for the surrounding grass to fill in. In either case reqular watering and a touch of fertilizer will aid in the reqrowth. Hope this is some help.

RussA

3. Dixiesmom

Dixiesmom LawnSite Member
    from Austin

I may have made it worse by watering it in. Any idea how much soil I'd have to remove. St. Augustine has fairly shallow roots doesn't it?

4. rander

rander LawnSite Member

Dixiesmom:

If the soil wasn't really soaked with the hydraulic fluid I expect removing an inch, perhaps two, would be adequate. You want to get below the level the oil contaminated. If it was just the grass that was contaminated just taking the old sod out may be all you need to do. The problem I had was a considerable amount of motor oil was spilled on the grass in an area of about 10 square feet and soaked into the earth. I took out shallow layers until I could no longer smell oil in the soil. Then filled back to the old level with fresh top soil and re-sodded.

RussA