Hydraulic fluid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by boozoo, Jun 27, 2000.

1. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

Anybody know how I can get ahold of Hydrogear and/or what kind of hydraulic fluid I can use in my Grasshopper G2. The stuff I'm *supposed* to use (according to Grasshopper, to not void my warranty) is about $40/qt and can only be purchased from my dealer, naturally. AND my pump is leaking on one side, so I don't want to spend a bunch on fluid until I get time to take it in for warranty work. Suggestions?

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am also in the same situation. I e-mailed Grasshopper about 2 weeks ago to ask for the Spec on their oil but have not heard from them yet. I contacted the Grasshopper distributor in my area and they said that if it's still under warranty you'd better use &quot;their&quot; oil. If it's out of warranty they said that Mobil 1 would work but not to use ordinary hydro fluid because the G2 Trans creates too much heat and reg oil will break down. Hydro Gear is owned by Briggs and Stratton but I haven't got an address for them and don't know how to contact them either. If you find one please let me know. I posted this forum a week or so ago and didn't get many replies, maybe we should all get on Grasshoppers back about giving us the spec for the oil. I'm gonna e-mail them again, you do the same!!! E-mail me at mowerman@atlantic.net if you find anything out.<p>Ed Kreiling<br>Kreiling's Lawn & Landscape Service

3. Blackhawk Lawn Care

Blackhawk Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Has anyone done there homework and found out the MIL-SPEC number, most all fluids have it and finding it might be a challenge, but getting a cross reference for another product will be easier... If the SPEC numbers are the same from different manufacturers, guess what, its the same product.

4. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

Are they hydro gear pumps?<br>If so mobile 1 should be fine. Probably, 15-40, or 10-40. Maybe 10-30

5. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

Idea: when I get a chance (I'm busyyyyy - lots of rain here!) I'll take a small sample to the local fuel supply place, and they will send it off (god knows where) for analysis. They should be able to ID it, and I will send you the results, Ed. Maybe we should correspond about some other GH things . . .

6. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

Idea: when I get a chance (I'm busyyyyy - lots of rain here!) I'll take a small sample to the local fuel supply place, and they will send it off (god knows where) for analysis. They should be able to ID it, and I will send you the results, Ed. Maybe we should correspond about some other GH things . . .

7. mowerman90

Boozoo, Sounds great to me! I'll be waiting to here about the analisis. Any other GH questions or problems just e-mail me <br>Ed Kreiling<br>mowerman@atlantic.net

8. mowerman90

boozoo, <br>I just got an e-mail reply from Grasshopper. They say that the spec for the oil is &quot;proprietary&quot;. In other words, go take a leap. It's a pretty sad state of affairs,when after I have boughten 2 grasshoppers, a company like grasshopper feels that their bottom line is threatened by someone who wants to buy something other than their brand of oil. Come on, they don't &quot;make&quot; the oil. They just buy it from some oil company and slap their label on it an then charge 2 or 3 hundred percent more than it's worth! Even though I love my hopper, when it wears out I'm gonna look for a Dixie Chopper or some other brand that the company who makes it &quot;cares&quot; for the person who buys their product.<p>Ed

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with Grasscape Inc. If it is Hydrogear....it is most likely motor oil. But that is typical of Grasshopper. I have a 721 and like the machine but I wouldn't buy another. Their support after the sale sucks. It's as if you are dealing with two companies, one who builds them and one on the money end. They left me hangin about three years ago with a burned wiring harness. Rather than help me get the mower running quickly they chose to show their ass. &quot;F&quot; them.

10. mowerman90

Well, I'd better do a little backtracking here. Today I received a call from Grasshopper. They explained the reason that the oil they sell is proprietary. NO, they don't manufacture it but they do add their own additives to it making it more wear resistant. They also told me that I could add Mobil 1 or Mobil DTE 26 Hydro fluid and not void my warranty. Adding either of those fluids would simply &quot;dilute&quot; the fluid already in the trans and not affect the wear characteristics. The single most important thing they told me was that I'd be foolish to change the fluid if the only reason I wanted to change it was for preventative maintenance. It seems that the G2 system was originally intended for the 928 model, meaning that those of us with a 725 that have the G2 trans shouldn't really have too much to worry about because the G2 is overkill on the 725. They told me that Grashopper is considering upping the change interval from 1000 hours to 1500 hours. There is more chance of contaminating the fluid from changing it than just leaving it alone. In other words &quot;if it ain't broke, don't fix it&quot;. Looks like I'll be sticking with my hopper til hell freezes over then buy another. <p>Ed<br>Kreiling's Lawn & Landscape Service<p><p>