Hydraulic hose question

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by rdharris55, Nov 19, 2004.

1. rdharris55

rdharris55 LawnSite Member

The Hustler fairy visited me last night and dropped off a new Super Z-60" with the 27 Kohler. It is an awesome mower. Looking at the oil cooler from the control panel side, the lower of the two rubber hoses is all but crimped at the cooler. It goes to the reservoir...I believe. Both of the hoses are wire tied to the engine grill. If this is a bad thing, what should I do to fix this? I hate to drag it to the dealer for something very easy that I would do on anything else I own.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Crimped to the cooler? what do you mean? kinked? let me know.

3. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Looked at the hoses on the Super Z and I can see what you're talking about. It seems by tying these hoses to the cooler fan grill it sharpens the curve in the hose and seems to crimp it. This could cause a problem, reducing flow through the hose. It seems that releasing the hose from the tie wrap may soften the curve and un-crimp the line.

Maybe Cottonpatch can clear this up for us!

BTW, may I ask where you purchased your SuperZ?
  4. rdharris55

rdharris55 LawnSite Member

The hose takes a 90 degree turn out of the cooler toward the reservoir and the bend is severe enough to crimp the hose. I have tried to reposition the hose in the wire tie enough to allow the hose to bend without crimping, but it still wants to crimp. I am concerned whether the flow is adequate. If I was a QC guy at an assembly plant, someone would fix it.

Possibly, some repositioning is all it would take. Maybe the hose itself is an inch or so too long, so as to force crimping
  5. CottonPatch

CottonPatch LawnSite Member

Gautreaux's LNG, I might have to check with some of my good dealers in Lafayette or Denham Springs to find an answer. Have a good Thanksgiving!
  6. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

I think the tie raps on the hoses are to keep the hoses from wearing on the metal seat holder bar. I'm not a hustler engineer but this is something that may help your hoses from being crimped. Just look at what I would suggest, cut the tie raps, take some 1/2" ID fuel hose about 1 foot long. Slice the hose long ways in (4) 3" pieces. Place the pieces over the hyd. hoses where they would touch the steel seat bar. I would put a dab of RTV on the pieces so they would stay there. This should solve both your problems. If you need help I can go get it or you can bring it by. Maybe the guys at hustler can help also, there a great bunch of people when I have a problem they are fast to help. (Maybe the tie raps are there to slow the oil flow just enough to get more cooling before going to the tank and they have to be tightened just a certain number of clicks to be the right flow ). Just kidding. If we can help call. Have fun with that Super Z. (I think we've created a monster by telling cottonpatch about this site.) Happy Holidays to all.