Hydraulic hoses

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dfor, Apr 25, 2002.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

How long do hydraulic hoses generally last. My mower is 2 years seasons old and I have a small leak in one of the hoses (where the metal is). I recall that they are expensive ($50).
    Has anybody replaced their own, and are they easy to replace?? Thanks for the replies.

2. Greenie

Greenie LawnSite Member

I have a 1969 ford tractor, some of the hoses have the braided steel showing with no leak. Usually, the only hoses I have to replace are the ones I break.
    Our local NAPA makes up most hoses for a lot less than the dealer will get, just bring in the old one, fittings and all.

3. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any experience with mowers, but on both my snowplow and the boom truck at work I have replaced hydraulic hoses and the job itself is straightforward: wrench the old hose off, wrench the new one on, however what can get complicated - depending on the piece of equipment you are working with - is fishing the old hose out and the new one in.

By "where the metal is", do you mean where the fitting is swaged (crimped) onto the hose or is the leak in the fitting itself?

4. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on the application and where it is located, in general most hoses will last about 6 to 8 years. We have some hoses that get abrasion wear that we replace about every two years once the outer layer is worn through.
    Yours sounds like a defective crimp on the fitting. OEM can be expensive at times. We occassionally use a company called The Hose Pros, they will normally have you up and running within a hour once called. They will come to where you are and make a new hose on the spot. Normally they will be cheaper than OEM, but not always. Other choices for having hoses made are some Napas, Kaman Industrial, large farm supply stores, etc.