hydraulic leak???

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by mdw, Sep 15, 2001.

1. mdw

mdw LawnSite Member

Should hydraulic fluid be able to leak out of the small hole on the cap? When I make fast turns on a steep pitch out comes the fluid. Not only does it make a mess of the mower but provides an opportunity for contamination due to the increased need to fill it.

The mower only has 7 hours on it.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

This is a very good question. I am guessing that you are running a LHP? You can get oil to come out of the vent hole of the cap. Her is a couple of things to look for.

Most likely the reservoir has too much fluid. When the hydro system is cold the fluid should be 1/8" below the center baffle in the tank. If the machine is hot the oil should be just over the baffle. If the unit is over filled stop adding fluid and the unit should stop leaking. The fluid level should be as stated above. After it has stopped leaking insure the fluid is at the proper level.

The other possibilities could be that the unit has a sucking air leak. You stated that the unit has 7 hours on it. 7hrs should be plenty of time for the hydro to bleed all the air out of the system. Take the machine a mower for 1/2 to 1 hour to get the system good and hot. Once the machine is good and hot look in to the reservoir, if the fluid looks milky thatÂ’s bad. This tells us that the machine has an air leak. That will cause the unit to leak out of the cap. Take it to your dealer and get it fixed.

One of these is most likely the answer. The only other thing that I have seen is if you hit some really rough terrain. I have seen small amounts of hydro fluid come out of the vent. Let us know what you find out.

Thanks, Fred.
  3. mdw

mdw LawnSite Member

Thanks Fred

From what you said, it appears that it was overfull.