hydraulic leak

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by mblackmon, May 3, 2004.

1. mblackmon

mblackmon LawnSite Member

I have an Exmark Lazer hp. Has a 21 HP Kawasaki engine and the trouble I am having is when I do a lot of turning (going around
    trees, shrubs etc), the fill cap on the hydraulic tank will spew out oil and the oil will then drip on the exhaust pipe and smoke quite a bit. I have ask my dealer several times for help and so far he has no answer. The mower has 90 hours on it and this has been going on for sometime now. I have changed the hydraulic filter and oil..no help. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mblackman,

There are 3 possible causes for what you seeing. The most remote is that you have a unit with the steel hydro tank and the gasket for the cap is missing or has fallen inside the tank.

The second is that there is a "sucking" air leak or air was introduced into the hydro drive system when the filter change occurred. Air will usually make the hydro "whine" or "growl" excessively.

The third is that the tank is being filled too full. As strange and simple as it sounds we often find the tanks overfilled. If you have a steel tank the fluid level should be at the top of the baffle and no higher. If you have the ribbed aluminum tank there is a hot and cold indicator on the internal baffle as well.

These are the simplest and most common causes. Let me know what you find out.

If you have any questions please feel free to call me at 1-800-667-5296.

Thanks,

Terry