Hydraulic oil change

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnspecialties, Nov 11, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have a SuperZ ready for the hydraulic oil change. I have my 10W40, lubrizol, and new filter. But I'm curious; is there anything to this other than draining the oil, putting on the new filter (pre-filled with oil), filling it back up to spec level, and running any air bubbles out? I would have asked on the Hustler thread but I doubt PJ will be online over the weekend. Thanks

2. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

Sounds to me like you've got all the bases covered, go for it !!!

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

that's it.

4. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the best way to run out the air bubbles? Does the fluid get drained through the hydro filter?

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I just finished about an hour ago. It's running perfectly. Thanks fellas.

Henry, the manual says to run the engine about 2/3 throttle for a few minutes to get the air bubbles out. I didn't see that part until after the fact :)hammerhead:), but I just let it run at idle a couple of minutes, then drove it around at about 1/2 throttle nice and easy. No problems at all. Since the system doesn't fill completely with oil to the top of the reservoir, air bubbles run through quickly until they reach the reservoir's top. Just make sure when you do it, fill the new filter with oil before installing.

The drain plug is located underneath the reservoir. You need to get the mower lifted somehow to get to it. Similar to draining engine oil from an oil pan.

It feels good to know I don't have to fool with that for another 500 hours.:)

6. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Lawnspecialties,
    I have the same mower. I've got the basics, but just a few questions if you don't mind taking the time???

What size/type of filter does the system take and where did you get yours?
    Did you use synthetic 10w-40? How many oz. of lubrizol? I have some, but can't remember how much to use.

Thanks alot.
    Matthew

7. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Also, do you know the capacity off hand?