Hydraulic oil change

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by JimmyJ, Aug 8, 2009.

1. JimmyJ

JimmyJ LawnSite Member

I just changed the hydraulic oil on my new Super Z. It took just a little less than 5.5 quarts. The filter is a ***** to change. Is there a simple way to do it? I had to remove the battery to get a wrench on it to turn it and get it off. It was also hard to tighten the new one. Help!!!!

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

My trick is to do this all from underneath on a lift... lol...
    Seriously though... I put a shop towel around it from underneath and use this type of filter wrench and they come off very easy.....

[​IMG]

3. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i do mine from under, Loosen the deck belt and use a punch to poke a hole to drain it first..

4. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

I thought about doing mine for the 50hr change. After looking at it for 5 minutes I said the dealer can have fun with it. I gladly paid the $30 cash for hydro filter, hydro oil change, and blade change (I supplied the materials). Until I have a mower lift I won't be doing it.

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

A lift sure helps servicing the mower.

Pj

6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

PJ,
    What weight oil does Hustler now recommend for hydros. Mine is a 2006 Super Z that has new hydros and wheel motors replaced about 600 hrs ago. Now I'm hearing the new ones hold more oil , and use a different weight also??? I've changed mine once this yr with tyhe 10x40 and lubrizol, but it's coming due again to change it, and I don't want any more downtime for failures.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

We made the change in the last year to 20w50 oil and that is what we now recommend.
    You dont use Lubrizol with this oil.
    This recommendation goes for every Hustler Z and Super Z we have made for 10 years, on your next fluid change I would switch.
    As to yours holding more oil? I am not sure about that, if so its pretty minimal, your still filling your reservoir to the same level.

Pj

8. Tockit

Tockit LawnSite Member

Pj,

So you're saying that Hustler is now recommending standard dyno 20w50 oil WITHOUT Lubrizoil, or does NO Lubrizoil still only apply when using synthetic oil?

I'm getting ready for my 50 hour hydraulic oil change and I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly.

Thanks!

9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

So Royal Purple 20w50 would be fine then, without Lubrizole.

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

You can go either way (they come from the factory with dino 20w50), regardless we dont recommend Lubrizol in either case.

Pj