1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic oil for 1998 Grasshopper 721D

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grasshopper_721D, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Grasshopper_721D

Grasshopper_721D LawnSite Member

Please help me in choosing right oil for this mower.
    My grasshopper dealer wants $50 per gallon of grasshopper oil.
    I have only 335hrs on the mower but broke an axle a need to replace oil now.
    Thank you.
  2. TwistedSister

TwistedSister LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

It should probably say in your owners manual. I just bought Mobil 1 synthetic 15w 50 for my WB hydro system. It was $8.00 for a quart. I dont know what your mower is recommending you use but $50.00 for a gallon isnt too bad. Its just $12.00 per quart. Thats not too bad if thats the kind that the manufacturer recommends and you cant find it elsewhere. Or you could ask the dealer what kind it is and look for the same kind cheaper.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

4. Grasshopper_721D

Thank you. This is an older transmission - not G2.
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Actually, your info is not correct. The DTE oil is used in the older Gemini-style transmissions. Any of the newer G2 transmissions, (with the seperate pumps and wheel motors), require the use of a synthetic oil. If you are running DTE oil in your G2 system, you have screwed up.
  6. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

For older Gemini units, you can use AW68 hydro oil. On the newer G2 systems, we recommend using the Grasshoppper oil within the warranty period. After that, most of our guys use Mobil 1 15W-50 synthetic.
  7. Grasshopper_721D

Thank you all. I found my manual and it says that I should use Mobil DTE18M.
    Thanks Again.