hydraulic oils

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by treadlite, Nov 15, 2008.

1. treadlite

treadlite LawnSite Member

What is everyone using for hydraulic oil in their machines?? Cat's specifications say it's ok to use diesel motor oil as a hydraulic fluid. I'm sure cat has done it's homework but I think I'd be worried about the hydraulic pumps shearing the oil and reducing its viscosity.... what do all you guys use??:confused:

2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Takeuchi uses engine oil.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Cat has used 10 weight engine oil for years as hydraulic engine oil it is just a Cat thing that dates back to the earliest of years.

Use standard hydraulic oil its cleaner and if you blow a line its not as messy.

All oil compresses but hydraulic oil is mineral based it doesn't contain detergents like engine oil. Engine oil is designed to absorb soot and clean.

4. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

I use 15- 40 Diesel oil in mine also

5. SellingIron

SellingIron LawnSite Senior Member
    from FTE

You can get by with a 10W30 motor oil with bobcat. If you still have a factory warranty, stick with the bobcat oils only...(If not, your warranty will be voided):cry:

6. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I use Cat's red 10wt, Bobcat's is the same (just piss yellow, much like Bobcat owner's bellies) The excavator use a thicker, 30wt and my Dad runs this mouth watering veggie oil in the old POS's, it's some of the best veggie oil you can use.

7. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

i use aw 32 hydraulic oil i think its called i got a big drum of it. Bobcat im almost positive sells the same

8. mastercraft

mastercraft LawnSite Member

My komatsu excavator calls for sae 30 oil.

9. CarterKraft

CarterKraft LawnSite Senior Member

The new CAT Advanced HYDO 10, longer drains, better oil.

The thing about motor oils and transmission oils is they don't disperse moisture as well as hyd oil.