1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hydraulic problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by l555, Jan 11, 2007.

1. l555

l555 LawnSite Member

i am a new skid steer owner/user. i just moved and was getting my machine out of the trailer and the bucket would not work. i was able to get the machine out of the trailer, but right after i got it out, the drive stopped working also. the "hydraulic charge" light came on (which i have never seen on before). it went of briefly and i was able to move it (still no bucket capability), then it came back on again and i lost all control.

the problem..?
    when i bought the machine i noticed the hydraulic fluid was a milky white-ish color. not knowing any better, i just thought it was a special fluid. i used the machine for a few months around the house with absolutely no problems. as mentioned, i moved and now it's not working.
    any suggestions?

thanks in advance!
  2. mohopper

mohopper LawnSite Member

try new fluid and filter first. saw this a thousand times at the deere dealer i worked at.
  3. l555

l555 LawnSite Member

alright..that's what i was going to try unless someone told me otherwise.
    now i just gotta get info on how/where to change it out.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If changing the fluid does not correct the problem check the low pressure switch which should be screwed into the hydro filter holder, I had one take a dump in ours that shut down all controls.
  5. l555

l555 LawnSite Member

alright..sounds good. hopefully the pump isn't shot.