1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic Pump fans

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Spicypups, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Spicypups

Spicypups LawnSite Member
    from Viginia

I am new here - just a green sprout if you will.

I am looking to buy my first Z-turn mower and have been looking at several models. I would like your opinions whether cooling fans on hydraulic pumps make a significant difference to the life of the hoses and pumps.

Your thoughts?

2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I dont have any long term figures for you but, any motor with a fan to make it run cooler is BETTER
  3. Langford2000

Langford2000 LawnSite Member

Most all the mowers I see in my area except eXmark run fans. Also eXmark requires mobil1 and the others (hustler and scag) don't. I agree with the above poster, the cooler a component can run the better for that component.
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I had great success with my Exmark hydro pumps and wheel motors, all without a fan, using Mobile One synthetic 15W-50. I finally had to make a replacement recently. I don't think I could have expected more service from the pumps.

(with pics)
  5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

they also keep the top of the pump clean, which makes it run a little cooler. i looked at an exmark and gravely side by side and the dealer said he doesnt see the need of the fan, or in other words it isnt a huge selling point. it wont keep it that much cooler either. not a major factor in my mind. jmho. go w/ a dealer you trust. and buy what he sells. (provided it is good commercial equipment built to the industry standard)
  6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I have to agree here !!
  7. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

does a fan really make it run that much cooler though? the pump is pretty thick metal. in my mind i dont see it being that much of a help in cooling the pump. and the last 2 posters, the original question was about the pump, not a motor. i aint trying to be argumentative, im really interested in seeing what yall think. im looking at buying a new machine soon, so all this will be looked into.
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

For those suggesting "better," what do you mean? How much "better" could my service life been if my machine had a fan?

When I made my replacement, I did some checking on the model number. It was manufactured by Hydro Gear. I took the model number, and did enough research to learn the exact pump is used by several manufacturers (Scag, Snapper, Bunton, ...). My point is the same pump is used on some machines with a fan, other machines without a fan. I think the only difference is the kind of oil to be used. This means the same pump is working at different operating temperatures, varying from machine to machine.

The Hydro Gear pump I needed was one of a family of about 25 pumps. BDP-10L-117 was the one I needed (as well as the other manufacturers I mentioned). The "10" refers to the pump flow rate. But, the "117" is a designation that includes several parameters that vary on the "10L" series. Others in the family have a different sized check valve, others have difference orifice sizes, others rotate CW rather than CCW, others have keyed shafts, splined shafts, or tapered key shafts. In other words if you seeking a replacement, you need to be sure that the EXACT designation is used. I found a "111" (not "117), but it would not have worked properly.