Hydraulic pump noise at idle

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by fatdog47, Sep 16, 2005.

1. fatdog47

fatdog47 LawnSite Member

My 2005 Super Z, 24 hp Honda, 72-inch deck, has a distinctive "whump, whump, whump" noise at idle. I don't seem to be able to notice it, once I get above idle. Is this normal? I've tried to isolate the noise, but I'm not sure whether it is the hydraulic pump or a bad idler. Your thoughts, please. THANXZZ!!! :help:

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Hard to say unless I hear it, if it was a pump or idler it would get worse the higher you have the throttle set.
    Has your dealer looked at it?

Pj

3. fatdog47

fatdog47 LawnSite Member

Dealer said they found a loose nut on the idler pulley bolt for the hydraulic pump and tightened it. They thought that would stop the noise. However, after running for it about 15 minutes, the noise is back, but not quite as loud. Have you any history of this type problem with this idler? THANXZ!!! :blob3:

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I have not heard of any problems myself, but I am not the person that would know this.
    E-mail me your information and your serial # and I will have it looked into.

Pj

5. fatdog47

fatdog47 LawnSite Member

After getting the Super Z back from the dealer in which they said they had tightened a loose nut on the idler pulley, I noticed there seemed to be a lack of response from the mower when I accelerated. I crawled under the mower to check out the hydraulic belt. What I found was that the dealer had overtightened the idler bracket bolt; and as a result, the tensioner bracket was unable to move, which did not let the tensioner spring flex and tighten as needed. I loosened the nut on the idler bracket approximately 1/2 turn, and that appears to have solved the problem. Is there a spacer or something missing, or is this the proper way to tighten down the idler bracket?

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The bracket should always be free to swing.