Hydraulic pump question?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by brent crumley, Jul 19, 2008.

1. brent crumley

brent crumley LawnSite Member

I need some advice about a pump problem. I turned the freewheel nut about 3 times to loosen it on the right and left on my tiger cub. But when I retightened it on the right side it didn't go all the way in ( about 4 threads showing). Now I have very little pressure on the right side. The Scag dealer said it was stripped. they said they would have to replace the pump with 4 hrs of labor. The tiger cub is one month past warranty and it has 84hrs on it. Any Advice on how I should handle this problem..... THANKS Brent @ YARD CUTS IN BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

3 turns? Most pumps it is only 1 turn. I would try to turn it out and them back it a few time. You may have gotten air in the pump by turn ing it so far out. Jack up the back wheels and with no load on the tires close the free wheel valve. Start the engine and push the controls slowly all the way forward and slowly all the way back. Do this about about 20 or 30 times. This will purge any air in the system out. This has to be done with the wheels off the ground. Good luck

3. brent crumley

brent crumley LawnSite Member

fIXER67, THANKS . The scag mechanic did that several times but not that many. The wheel did turn but he could stop it from spinning with his foot. Very little pressure. The left side works fine. Brent

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Well You could try it again and maybe have some luck. There is one more thing you can do seeing as it looks like the pump is trashed any way. You could unscrew the freewheel bolt all the way out and check the bore. Some pumps have a ball type check valve in the bore of the freewheel valve. That check valve (if your type has one) could have gotten miss a lined from being screwed out to far. You should never screw a freewheel valve out that far. Most I have ever seen you only screw out 1 to 1 1/2 turns. Next time try just one turn and if it does freewheel then screw it no farther. Good luck but I am afraid the pump maybe trashed. Sorry.

5. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

its the ball for sure now to get it back where it belongs is gona be fun. but here is a trick. get the ball out coat it with grease and push it all the way in and it should stick there now put your release bolt back in.