1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic system repair

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirt Boy, May 28, 2014.

1. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Gents,
    Ran into an hydraulic system today, guessing that's what it's called.

Little 1/4" dia. lines running from controller to valves, which are buried who know's where.

Problem is that one zone runs all the time. System works fairly well due to good water pressure, but obviously one zone is way overwatered.

needs replacing with new controller & valves.

Any advice on finding valves? replacing all these items? Any other "gotchas" to expect?

Thanks

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=316820&highlight=Piano+wire
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Dirt Boy

Thanks Jim! would not have thought of that myself.

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Best of luck :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. JayinDetroit

JayinDetroit LawnSite Member

That works really well as Jim told me that. However if that doesn't work for you do you just find the first head that comes on after you turn the water on and then fish tape your way back will eventually find a valve. I have done plenty of hydraulic conversions in my lifetime!

6. Dirt Boy

Found em and converted.

There was a slight depression in the ground not far from where the control tubes came out, and the lady of the house kinda remembered something being there.
    A little digging and bingo, had a wood box, now very rotted, over them.

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

You're right to a certain degree jay, that is if the valve isn't in the middle of the zone. If the valve's centered on a tee they're still a tough find. If the system is large enough and has head to head and is centered on or near the mainline you can measure the distances between heads and swing an arc which should intersect the mainline. That intersection of the main and the arc should be the best place to search. I've done it on a few sports fields in order to create hard points of interest or draw parameters.
    Posted via Mobile Device