Hydraulic temp light on Deere

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Fieldman12, May 6, 2007.

1. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

As you all know a while back my temp light would come on about once a day and go off after about five minutes of cooling. Checked hydraulic fluid and it was full and clean. Actually it was too full which is how it was when I bought it. I asked several people if it was a big deal and no one acted like it was so I left it. Well I decided to drain some after looking in the manual and read that it should not be overfilled due to expansion. Took the plug out and the fluid looked very black. Decided to go ahead and change it and the filter. Machine acts fine now but I have not done any heavy digging. It seems like its allot quiter. I noticed some people use hydraulic oil for the hydraulics and some use engine oil. Which do you prefer and why? I used 15W-40 since it referred to Super- 50.

2. Fieldman12

I know engine is thicker than hydraulic oil. Im guessing it would take longer to get to the same temp as hydraulic oil. If I have any more problems I will changer the sensor. There is also a couple in line filters for the pump on each side for the wheels. Any one changed these? Do they plug very often or is it a waste of time. I dont care to change them if needed. They are like $35.00 a piece.

3. Fieldman12

Machine just turned 2,000 hours and dont seem to be having any problems. Knock on wood.

4. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would continue to run the motor oil for the hydraulics. I wasn't so sure about it, but I talked with the service manager, and he seemed pretty confident that Deere had tested both ways, and the motor oil (Super 50) performed better. Plus that's what it's already got in it.

They say to let the machine run for at least 10 minutes before you operate, it the temp is below 32 degrees. Nothing irks me more than seeing someone start a truck or equipment when it's cold out, and start running or driving it a few seconds later. I saw a guy I know get into a White semi with a Detroit in it last winter, and start it up in 10 degree weather with no block heater, and the truck had sat for 2 months without being started.:hammerhead: On top of that, the truck only ran for a few seconds before he raced the engine to get the air pressure up!:nono: Knuckleheads.

5. Fieldman12

I know what you mean about people not letting things warm up. Tat makes me mad. I even take it easy on my stuff when it's warm out. Things cost too much just to destroy them. I thought it was strage at first to use motor oil instead of hydraulic oil. On the good side of things though the engine, chain case and the hydraulics all take the same thing.