Hydraulic V Electric spreader on Z-Spray

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by AlpineNaturescapes, Oct 18, 2005.

1. AlpineNaturescapes

AlpineNaturescapes LawnSite Member

For you guys with older Z sprays, do you think the hydraulic spreader is better than the electric? Any probs with the older models?

2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

The electric spreader motor is the only reason I didn't buy a Z-spray when I first demo'd the unit. I purchased one within a few months of the change to the hydraulic and have never had any problems. I can't comment about the older z-spray with the electric motor, but I think Tom changed it because there were alot of people concerned about the potential for problems under the conditions it would operate.

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I prefer the electric primarily because you turn off the impeller without shutting down the whole machine. This is particularly helpful when speading a dusty or "cakey" material that sticks to the impeller.

Also the electric has a greater opertation speed range.

Also the hydraulic valve on the Z-Spray works backwards and is counter intuitive for my techs. (The slow it down when the mean to speed it up, etc.)

I think Z-spray switched because it saved money and the older electric motors were not as bulletproof as the new ones Spyker uses.

I hope we never have to work on the hydraulic motor/hoses - there is no stainless used on those and they're a rusty as can be!

4. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

You must have a different unit than ours because with my unit you can turn off the impeller and it can be easily adjusted to any operating speed desired, and it is labeled 1-10, how do your guys screw that up?. Knowing L.T. Rich's commitment to quality I doubt that they switched from electric to hydraulic to save money.