1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

hydro 48 and larger

Discussion in 'Gravely (Archived)' started by odin, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

Doubles are optional on all 32, 36, 48 decks. 52 should be approved here shortly.

Striper is optional on 32 & 36 decks. It is standard on 48 & 52 decks.

The bonus I get is serving the LCO community. (talk about smarmy huh? )
    :blush:

Barry

PS
    Yes, cash in the stocking on the mantle would be nice!

2. I Forgot to ask about the tip speed on the 48 and 52 decks
    thanks barry

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Barry wrote:
    The 36" deck has a blade tip speed of 18,990.

Assuming that a person doesn't increase the engine rpms past 3,600? Dixie Choppers come in right at 19,000 also when the engine is set at 3,600 but the Kohler equipted Dixies are factory approved to run at 3,750.

4. Eng Mwr Guy

36 & 52 is 18,990fpm

32 & 48 is 17,400fpm

It is this way to have common pulleys on all models.

Engine speed will be 3550. The factory does not approve removing the air cleaner cover and adjusting the mechanism to get up to 3750. This is not allowed by Gravely / Ariens.

;)

Interesting though the 48 has been an awesome cutting deck. When benchmarked with Exmark, Toro and MTD our deck generally cut better according to LCO's who tested it.

Barry

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry Barry, I worded that last sentence wrong. DC Kohlers are approved by Kohler to run at 3,750 when equipted with the Donaldson air cleaner, Amsoil bypass filter and the larger engine oil cooler. Be aware though, these engine drink a LOT of gas at these rpms.

6. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

Barry,

I see the blade tip speeds are slower on the 32 & 48 inch decks when compared to the 36 & 52's. I assume it is because of the length of the actual blade.

How does blade speed relate to the quality of cut and proficiency of any particular mower?

Thanks,
    Mark

PS. You have been very helpful and full of valuable information. How could we contact Gravely to get an "atta-boy" for you?

7. Eng Mwr Guy

**How does blade speed relate to the quality of cut and proficiency of any particular mower?**

I believe BTS is overrated. I see it more as a marketing tool.

However, a poorly designed deck/baffle system will perform worse with high BTS.

I know the 48" deck has made LCO's lose sleep from not being able to wipe the grin from the face since the cut was so good. I would like to tell you we had a magic formula...we don't. The 48 (with the slightly slower BTS) has been an amazingly good quality of cut with single blades...when we add the doubles it is breathtaking. The other decks have been excellent too....just for some reason the 48 is 1% better.

We sprinkled pixie dust on the 48 deck and it works extremely well.

**You have been very helpful and full of valuable information.**
    Most people stop with saying I a full of it.;)

**How could we contact Gravely to get an "atta-boy" for you?**
    No need to do this. I love what I am doing right now and consider this site's support to be fun. (what a sick person, huh?) So far I have received more from all of you than I have given. I am working to even things out.

Demo or purchase a machine....tell me what you think, do not hold back. This is the best atta boy I can receive. I will need to work at listening well at this point because these new WB's are my babies. However, there is always room for improvement.

Barry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.