1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hydro/belts life span

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bababooie, Jan 16, 2003.

1. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

if everything is equal,maintenance wise,which would last longer .belts or hydro walk behinds ?
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The answer is YOU . Hydros are much easier to use than belt-driven machines.

But back to your question. I would think hydros.
  3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

a belt is a little bit cheaper to replace than a hydro!;)
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Both are very long lasting. Both should last you many years. Belts are much cheaper to buy, but not as productive as a hydro. I am having a dilema right now over w/b's or Z's for employees. I think I favor w/b's. Long lasting and very economical.
  5. All depends on how hung over the assembly guy at the MFG was that day.
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

or if it was built on a Friday.:p
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

With proper maintenance either should last about forever. It would be cheaper in the long run to maintain the belt drive.
  8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Belts are less expensive but also less productive for some.

9. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

65hoss, just to let you know...I was talking to a fellow lawn care owner the other day that has 5 crews...we got on the topic of ztr's, told him I was thinking of buying one...he told me, for LCO's, go for it...for the crews, stay with walk-behinds...he said his employees got lazy from using them and they we're expensive to maintain because the employees mistreated them...