Hydro cap

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Daddio, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Daddio

Daddio LawnSite Member

Mowing today with my Exmark and a pine tree spun off my Hydro Cap. Mowed for an hour before I noticed it .what do I need to do, put a cap on and keep going ,change oil, any ideas?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

Daddio..I'm not a mechanic so I don't know what is the right answer is here- But I can tell you what I'd do if it were mine. I'd at least unhook the out-going oil line underneath the tank and drain the tank completely, take the tank off and clean it good. Change filter and re-fill. I know this seems like alot of hassle..but 1 hour labor and $30 or so oil is better than risking hydro failure. I don't think anything got past filter so should be ok then after above. bleed out air of course. Hope all works out..But wait first on others for more experienced opinions as I've always used belt drives until this year.

3. Daddio

Daddio LawnSite Member

Thanks you're the only reply........ all the other mechanics must still be in class. By the way I call my dealer on Monday and your statement was all most perbatum to what they told me. thanks again I was just trying to get a good nights rest since it was Sunday and I knew I had to wait till Monday to speak to a pro.

4. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

change the oil and filter, and look into the tank with a flashlight while empty.
    if anything got in there it is either in the filter or made 5000 rounds thru the system already.

just change everything and look in there to make sure there isn't something big in the tank.

5. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

screw the cap on a little tighter? lol