1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydro Cooler

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by riches139, Dec 20, 2004.

1. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody ever add a hydro cooler to their Z?
    I see Scag has them on some of their units.
    Mine didn't come with one, and I think it's a good idea. :cry:

Any parts sources or ideas as to a setup would be greatly appreciated.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Any time you can keep cooler oil it is a good idea. I had external coolers on all mu engines and hydros that did not have factory equipment and man did they ever make a difference in longevity.
  3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Best that we not forget...coolers go on the return side (low pressure side) of the hydro system!
  4. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

I'm looking for a 8" fan to cool an Eaton myself. Does your hydro have a charge pump or in/out lines?

If you plan on using the radiator style, make sure it can handle the RETURN pressure. Most of the automotive automatic transmission and power steering coolers should handle the load. The PS coolers are very compact if you're pressed for space.
  5. riches139

6. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

To find lines for your hydro, check at NAPA auto or a tractor repair/dealer they can usually manufacture what ever you need.
  7. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

8. riches139

Thanks CCWKen.
    Ordered a catalog from them.
  9. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

I mounted a automotive transmission cooler flat about 8 inches above the flywheel shroud and it get enough air from the flywheel pulling the air down to cool the hydro oil around 80 degrees cooler. Had to make a frame for it to mount to and bolt onto the frame of the mower on each side of the engine. Regular fuel line connected with hose barb fittings with hose clamps work well on the low pressure side of the system. Fuel line will take quite a bit of pressure. Has worked for 3 years now with no problems of leaking.
  10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

The early MTD, think they were called pro Z's, had a cooler on them, mounted under the seat area, in front of where your hyd tank sets. Anyways the newer cubs/lesco's have increased the oil capcity and have the finned fans over the hydro motors/pumps. I have thought about mounting a cooler over the shroud area on the motor also, but never have the time to do it. I put a thing I got from JCWhitney, that clamps onto the hyd oil filter to extract the heat, it has fins and made out of aluminum.