Hydro-drive walk-behind mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass barber, Jun 22, 2005.

1. grass barber

grass barber LawnSite Member

I am adding a walk behind to my fleet. Any reviews on the Scag 48" Hydro out there? I can pick one up for $5,000 which, after much price hunting, seems like a pretty good deal. I have never owned a Scag and was hoping to get some professional reviews. Thanks much.

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have two Scag Tiger Cub ztrs. Scag mowers are made to last and I believe they were one of the first with dual hydro walkbehinds. Is the walkbehind that you got a price on a fixed or floating deck (SWZU or SWZ)?

3. tocs93

tocs93 LawnSite Member

Get a Ferris, I love mine and it has a great warranty.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Go with the Scag it is engineered to take a beating!!! We have several units but our 36" Scag Hydro is in its 6th year and that units goes full time 250 days a year. We are putting our third motor on it, this time we are putting on a 18HP Kohler. We expect to do some serious mulching with this baby. This unit has original spindles, hydro pumps, and only one new drive motor.

5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Had a swzu hydro once...heaviest duty walk behind I've seen....go with it...

6. ercrvs24

ercrvs24 LawnSite Member

I'm getiing ready to buy Lesco WB hydro 48" float deck 17 hp twin KAW. I've heard great things about them, great cut. Plus at $3800 brand new, with the "ergonomic" controls, you can't beat it. $0.02 :)

7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

When Scag comes out with new control system on its hydro WB other than that pistol grip, I will consider them, but for now I stick with my sweet ECS of Xmark. Honestly, Scag WB is true tank as I have seen and tried out but its pistol sucks, they "last" longer than your fingers and arms for sure...

8. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I own a Scag 48" hydro w/b that I bought last year and I absolutely love it. I run doubles with gators over stock high lifts and the machine cuts great.

$5,000 seems to be the right price. I would make sure you have them install an hour meter on it as well. That helps you keep up with the maintenance.

Good luck.