1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydro driven decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, May 29, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have seen golf course mowers, for the rough, used hydro driven decks before, why hasn't it come over to our side? Or has it and I just haven't seen it yet?
  2. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

I rented a Komatsu Excavator with a 36" Hydro driven mower attachment last week to use for on a new contract that I landed. The head that holds the blade on flew off and it is down right now. Rish Equipment delivered it with loose bolts in the mower head and they agreed to fix it and credit me for each day that it is down. Having to pay $3200.00 a month rental fee. I hope that it is back up and running by Tuesday afternoon. For giving me the extra days credit will add nothing to my account if it is not working to fill the contract.

I am just glad that the mine pays for the fuel and that I do not have to fill the 150 gallon fuel tank everyday out of my pocket.. :eek:

I will get some photos of the unit Tuesday when we go back at it.

I do not think that a hydro motor that is able to turn 3600 prms would hold up nor supply enough torque to be used everyday when it comes to turning blades. The unit that is mounted on the Excavator has just a 36" cut and the hydro pump produces 6500 psi and has a flow rate of 45 gpm. It has a blade speed of 4800 rpms. You can start at the top of a treated 8" x 8" post and it will shred it like a trimmer will a banana.. :cool:
  3. tiedeman

from earth

thanks for info. I was wondering about the rpms with it. You have to take a picture of the unit for I can check it out
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Biggest thing is price. A Jacboson 5111 is like $45,000 for a 12 foot cut(i think, its been a long time since I ran one) All the mowers are hydro.
  5. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

The biggest problem with a hydro driven deck/blades is cooling the hydraulic oil. The mower must have a big enough resevour to allow the oil to cool. Oil coolers are a must and many gallons of oil. I have a 60" mower with a hydraulic driven deck and it's great. The acutual frame is the hydraulic oil tank, everything is bolted or welded to the tank. It gives the mower a very low center of gravity. This mower is built for mowing slopes.
  6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Open the hood and you see a motor hooked to pumps, thats all.
    The engine just runs pumps. 3 pumps, one for the wheels, one auxilliary pump (steering and deck lifts) and one for the decks.

It has a huge cooler and holds over 15 gallons of fluid in the hydro system.

The machine rocks....it is fast, even in tall grass, and jet smooth.

7. tiedeman

from earth

I just thought that it would be something welcome, even though more expensive, instead of going through belt on the deck constantly. In the long run it would be a welcomed low maintenance machine