Hydro filter change frequency?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by aVOLanche, Apr 28, 2006.

1. aVOLanche

aVOLanche LawnSite Member

I have a Viking hydro(1996 model) that has been used only for homeowner use.I'm the 3rd owner,but it has low hours and is in great shape.My question involves the hydro filter.The manual says to change it every 500 hours/or anually.I put maybe 50 hours a season on the mower.I thought of 3 scenarios:
    (1)Change the filter every 3 years or so.
    (2)Pull the filter and drain the filter to get rid of any water condensation.Then put the same filter back on and add the necessary amount of Mobil-1.Do this anually.
    (3)Use a "non OEM" filter and change anually.

With filters running $18-19 each and 2 qts of Mobil-1,an annual change is Over $30 and seems like overkill.Your thoughts?Thanks!!!

2. 11baron

11baron LawnSite Member

Just my two cents worth. I think $30 a year for peace of mind is worth it. If something goes wrong due to moisture or condensation, changing it once a year is worth the expense of preventing one of the pumps from going out on you. You just have to be extremely clean and careful when you do it.

Regards,

Bryan

3. aVOLanche

aVOLanche LawnSite Member

Hmmmmm.....I just checked the last filter the DEALER put on the mower.It is a Wix #51215.I thought it would be "Exmark branded".NAPA sells this filter as a 1215.It's rated at 24 microns.I thought the Exmarks called for 10 micron filters....but this was installed by an authorized dealer!

4. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... I am afraid some dealers take short cuts too. Or, in some cases don't know any better. You gotta watch.