Hydro Filter/Oil Filter

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Wesley's Lawn, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn LawnSite Member

Hi guys i was wondering if any of you know if when u replace a hydro filter id u could find the same kinda thread size oil filter to use instead of paying three times as much for a hydro filter. I wondering if like they are same as far as microns and catching particles in the fluid. If it would work i think it would be cheaper to buy then a filter from the dealer and just go get a oil filter from like Walmart or Fleet Farm. Thanks guys.

Wesley's Lawn

2. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I would say why bother? You change that filter very infrequent doesn't seem worth the risk. I could see on the engine where you change often would add up to savings. My ast hydro mower had the same filter for engine oil and hydro oil.

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Hydraulic and hydrostatic filters must filter down to 15 micron or less. Most engine oil filters do not filter smaller than 40 micron otherwise they do not flow well enough to be of any use. Thats why oil filter is 5 bux and hydro filter is 15.

4. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

When it comes to filters the price you pay is little for the insurance you get out of one. I would stay with the hydraulic filter.