1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydro filter

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by novared1@comcast.net, Mar 1, 2008.

1. novared1@comcast.net

novared1@comcast.net LawnSite Member

I'm changing the hydro oil and filter on a 1999 Gravely Walk-behind hydro drive. The filter it calls for is a non bypass type, but it's $35 at my local supplier and he has to order it, but he has the newer model gravely filter
    ($15) that's the same threads, same gasket design and size, but it's has a bypass valve internally.
    Would you think it's okay to run this filter. I have 2006 Gravely zero turn and it has the same type hydro pumps and wheel motors as this older
    gravely and it uses the filter with the bypass valve

So what do you think Bypass or No Bypass
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im quessing here.........I THINK (I dont know much) that your system must have a higher pump pressure a with the cheaper filter its going to open the bypass valve and not filter the oil.....again Im taking a quess on this
    I would spend the extra 20 bux......cheaper than fixing/replacing anything hydro related

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Go with the recommended filter do to flow rate.:waving: