Hydro Fluid Change on a Zero Turn

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mikegbuff, Aug 18, 2008.

1. mikegbuff

mikegbuff LawnSite Member

Do most of you guys change your own hydro fluid in your zero-turns or take it to your mechanic? According to the owner's manual, the deck has to be taken off to change mine (Lesco 60"). Would it be sufficient to buy a suction type system to suck it out or do you really need to clean out the filter and lines? Mine is approaching the 50 hour mark (first scheduled change).
    Thanks.

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it will be sufficient plus make it much easier to do, which will lead to more frequent changes. I doubt that your mechanic will be removing the deck to change your fluid and more then likely will be using the same suction system that you are referring to.

3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

First and foremost make sure the area around the filter mount is CLEAN. Not being familiar with that machine, you should be able to unscrew the filter and drain the reservoir at the same time, just let it all drain in a catch pan. Then wipe the filter mount clean, fill the filter with oil and screw it on hand tight. Fill the reservoir up, and to be on the safe side, bleed the system per your owners man.

4. mikegbuff

I haven't looked under it closely, but the manual says the deck must be removed in order to drain the reservoir, so I wanted to use a suction-type system. I assume I should probably change the filter at the same time? I know there is a filler cap on top of the reservoir and then a silver thing that hoses hook onto, so I assume that is the filter?

5. MowerMedic77

What is the model # of your Lesco

6. mikegbuff

Model # 721751

7. MowerMedic77

Yes on this model that is your filter remove the 3 top screws and the replacement element is inside the item # is 722258