hydro fluid/filter changes

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Fareway Lawncare, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Hello eXmark, a couple of the Vikings only saw just under 200hrs. this season and will see the same next season...is there any reason to do the annual hydro fluid/filter change or can I leave it another year ?

Hydro filters are $50CND a pop here & changing them is always Messy & a Pain...especially on the TracerHP's...the Vikings are slightly easier....so I'd rather go by hr. than season on the units that don't see much use...how about 500hrs ?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Fareway,

Some would say it may be more important for your machine than one in some climates with linger growing seasons. The Mobil 1 is tough stuff. At 1,000 hours it's probably still in excellent condition. We recommend the fluid be changed for a couple of reasons. One is debris such as any dust dirt etc. that while they may not cause a failure immediately over time they could have cumulative effect. One other contaminant can be of particular interest...........Water. Condensation occurs in the reservoir overnight which then leads to water droplets being deposited into the fluid. Water weighs more than air so it works its way down to the bottom of the tank. If present in high enough quantities the pumps could get a nice refreshing gulp of H2O which would be a really bad thing.

A replacement pump is around $350 US so the $50 filter is really quite a bargain in the long run.

I would recommend changing out the filter and the fluid in the pumps annually.

Thanks

Terry

3. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Terry, I agree totally with annually, however should we do it before we put'em away or before we run them in the spring? I am just getting ready to put mine away for the year. Also is it just a fluid and filter change or should they be flushed in some manner?

4. eXmark

Jim,

When you remove the filter the hydro tank will drain. This is all the fluid you need to be concerned with. The fluid in the pumps, motors and hoses should be left there. The ONLY time we would recommend that you drain the pumps and motors is in the event you have a componant failure. Why you may ask................

It is difficult to purge the air from a hydro drive system. It becomes exceedingly more difficult the more air you have in the system.

Thank you

Terry

5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

In July, I had my TTHP hydro service by a dealer. If I will do it myself, I need to get a hydro filter and a few qt of Mobil 15-50? First, twist off the filter underneath, letting oil out and replace with new filter, then top off the oil at black reservoir to baffle and close. Is this good enough for the do-it-yourself? Please help fill in on the correct procedure if you don't mind.

Thank a bunch

6. eXmark

MTR,

If you don't "pre-fill" the filter you will have a whining, howling cranky mower on your hands. Here's what I do.

First thing fill the new filter with Mobil 1 and set it aside so the filter can obsorb the oil. Next place a drain pan under the hydro filter and remove the filter. While it is draining top off the new hydro filter with oil again (the filter should have aborbed the oil by now). After the tank is completely drained spin on the new filter and fill the hydro tank. Let the machine set for about 15 minutes while you properly discard of the old oil and filter than top off the tank one last time.

By pre-filling the filter and topping of the tank a second time you will prevent (as much as possible) air from entering the hydro system. When air enters the hydro system the drive components tend to whine, howl and growl......it's often not a pretty site. After you've finished the hydro mainteance take her for a spin for about ten minutes to purge any additional air from the system.

Thanks

Terry

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I dont have an exmark but my dealer said that if you can jack the drive tires up off the floor and run the unit, it lets the air work out of the system and not have the load of the machine and operator and the friction of the ground putting stress on the motors as the air works its way out of the system

8. eXmark

Grass cuttin fool,

Your dealer is correct but your choice in the color of your lawnmower might be a little suspect.............Just kidding.

Your dealers recommendation is a very good suggestion if there was a problem and an excessive amount of air has entered the system. This usually occurs only if a hydro componant has been removed and the system has been "opened".

When performing routine maintenance it is probably not necessary.

Thank you

Terry

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I would just like to take a second to say thank you terry for your comments and help on this site, I dont own an exmark but i read about all the forums on here to just learn all i can, I have always said every company makes a good mower and every company has a lemon from time to time. Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas , there is no need to post this just moderate it out, this was the fastest way to reach you that I new of
    wayne

10. eXmark

Wayne,

I though I'd post you comments anyway...........at least for a couple of reasons.

First I wanted to say thanks. I needed a shot in the arm right now and I appreciate it. The other reason is that you also remined me that I've not told everyone here Merry Christmas and I need to do that.

Thanks

Terry