1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hydro fluid/mulch kit questions for viking

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by BZB_Helpers, Mar 7, 2006.

1. BZB_Helpers

BZB_Helpers LawnSite Member

I recently got a 48" viking hydro, SN:443---, and i have a few questions.
    How much fluid is needed to change the hydro filter and refill the tank
    What items are included in the mulch kit?
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks for purchasing an Exmark.
    On the Hydro Filter change, you simply replenish the lost oil, not the whole thing, that's one of the big advantages of the Exmark Hydraulic System.

Purchase an Exmark Hydraulic filter (P# 1-513211) and pre-fill it with Mobil 1 15W-50 Synthetic. Now clean thoroughly around the current filter and remove it (good idea to have a pan underneath to catch any oil), and then immediately turn on the new filter. Turn the filter so it comes into contact with the filter head base, and then hand tighten another 2/3 to 3/4 turn. Check the reservoir and fill it to the 'cold' level. All total, you're looking at probably no more than a quart of oil.

It's a good idea to raise the back end of the machine (so the drive tires are off the ground) and operate the machine, engaging the hydro-drive in forward and reverse, for a couple of minutes. This helps to ensure that any air get purged out of the system, and by not having it under any load prevents damage to the head of the pump.

The mulch kit comes with baffles, blocker plate, blades and instruction sheet. The baffles are bolted into place to make 3 separate cutting chambers. The blocker plate closes off the discharge opening on the deck. The mulching blades were specifically designed for the mulch kit to cut and re-cut the clippings and then drive them down into the turf. Finally the instruction sheet helps you in the installation of all these items.

Keep in mind, when mulching, you want to have as many blade spacers between the blade and spindle for the best performance.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.

3. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

Do you change the hydo fluid the same way on the riders ?
  4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Yes, it works the same way for riders and all the Exmark hydraulic systems.
    Thaks Brian
  5. BZB_Helpers

BZB_Helpers LawnSite Member

thanks eXmark
    i read the manual and it says for best performance while mulching to use 3 spacers not 4.