Hydro Fluid

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by KerryB, Jan 8, 2004.

1. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I took my Z in for service this week while I was in school.
    When I returned they told me they drained all my hydro fluid and replaced it because it smelled burnt.
    Now I dont have a problem with the service. What I do have a problem with is the fact that it was burnt after only 400 hrs.
    I have been telling the dealer for over 6 months that it didnt respond like it should when turning. I always got the same answer. Which didnt fix the problem and now he finds that the fluid is burnt.
    What would cause this after only a short period of time? Do I have hydro problems in my pumps?
    And I still havnt had any luck with the problem I told you about earlier. The one about it cutting off at the top of a hill.
    The only other dealer close by is this guys cousin. So I am leary about carrying it to him.
    I love my Exmark. All I want is for it to perform and last. I just have a couple of small problems preventing it from running properly.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Kerry,

I can only assume that the Kohler rep that was going to be at the dealership could not find anything wrong with the engine either.

At this point I'm out of suggestions. Send me a pm with your dealer name as well as the technician you've been working with and I'll have Kohler give them a call. Also it couldn't hurt to get your name and phone number as well. That way if the dealer can't duplicate the problem on hills you can at least describe it to the Kohler tech's.

It's unlikely that you've got a problem with the hydros. I am concerned however because as I recall you were changing the fluid back in October but I may be mistaken............a lot of e-mails since then.............I get confused...............easily and often.

If you changed the hydro fluid in October and it smells burnt already then we probably need to get our tech's involved with the dealer and give them a few things to look at. If you’re still running the original fluid I'm a little concerned but not overly concerned. It's unlikely the fluid was actually cooked. I've never seen a unit cook the Mobil 1 in the field but anything is possible.

If you had 400 hours on the original fluid it's a good idea to have it changed anyway.

Send me a pm with your information as well as your dealer info and we should be able to get all of these figured out. Also include the serial number of your unit as well.

Thanks

Terry

3. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

I would get it changed! We had a new lazer z 60 this summer that chewed up the pump at about 150Hrs. We also had a 72 that had a pump seal blow out at about 450. I would get it changed. They use synthetic in them, and if it smells bunt, you will be putting in a pump very soon.

4. KerryB

I will get you that info.
    The Kohler rep hasnt come yet. I cant explain this unless he came and no one told me.
    Back in Oct as per your recommendation I was only going to change the filter. But it has taken till now to get a filter from this dealer.
    Wanabe, thats what I am afraid of.

5. eXmark

Kerry,

First the hydro oil on any new machine should have the filter and oil in the reservoir changed at 250 hours. Service interval should then be once per year or once per every 1,000 hours which ever comes first.

As I said it’s unlikely that the fluid was burnt however it was probably due for service anyway. With the price of hydro components being what they are it was probably a good move.

I wouldn’t be too afraid of the other dealer. Dealerships are made up of people, all of whom have different skills and different experiences. Just because one mechanic has never seen one issue and is having difficulty diagnosing it doesn’t mean the other one won’t be able to figure it out. Even if they are owned by the same people.

I’m not sure what your cutting season is like right now but if it’s slowed down enough that you can take the mower in and leave it for a while I’d do it. If the mower isn’t being used I’d leave it for quite a while if necessary. Again it depends upon what your season is like right now. If things are still hopping and you need the machine right now then let me know when you can leave it at the dealership and I’ll make sure they get any and all assistance we can offer to diagnose both the engine issue and the hydro issue.

I still wouldn’t worry about the hydros too much yet. In reference to Wanabe’s post you can get seal failures now and then but actually hydro pump failures are pretty uncommon. A large number of the pumps we receive back under warranty there’s nothing wrong with them. The real issue was either air in the system or a pump drive problem that went away after everything was removed to replace the pump.

If possible make arrangements to have the unit looked at, let us know who the dealer is and we should be able to figure out what’s going on.

Thanks

Terry

6. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Kerry, after the system is refilled, run the engine at full speed and push both sticks forward all the way. Will it steer straight, or is it pulling to one side? That is how our dealer tested ours. The first one that went out ground up the inside and contaminated the entire hydro system with metal. The second one blew a seal, and it sprayed oil everywhere. Ask any mechanic about synthetic smelling bunt, and they will all say you have serious problems. I sure hope yours goes out under warranty. Air in the system will not cause fluid to smell burnt, but heat will.

7. KerryB

Thanks Terry,
    John said he spoke with you this morning and is going to go through everything while he has the mower.
    Thank you for taking the time to help. I have a friend with and Exmark who is going to put his on the hill. After it works just fine as I know it will we will give Art something to think about. lol
    Again thank you for all your help.

8. eXmark

Cool,

I talked to the tech and the fluid is not burnt. If you get Mobil 1 hot enough to burn it, it'll curl you nose hair, make you blind and make you wish you didn't have a sniffer at all.

I've requested that the dealer tech call me if he isn't getting good results finding the issue with the engine. After talking to him it sounds like you have a problem with the drive to the pumps and not with the pumps/wheel motors.

We'll know for sure after he goes though the unit.

Thanks

Terry

9. KerryB

Thanks Terry

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

EXMARK RULES!!!!!

e5_1.jpg