1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydro/Gear motor leaking

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by iamthelawnbarber, Mar 27, 2008.

1. iamthelawnbarber

iamthelawnbarber LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I have a Scag Turf Tiger w/22HP Kawi engine. It looks like it's leaking hydro fluid from the inside of the rim where the driver's side tire is. I run it and it doesn't seem to leak, but when I park it then it leaks. It must be a slow leak because I ran it and pulled the tire off and couldn't see where it's leaking from . But when I let it sit for a couple days there's a nice sized puddle on the floor. Are there any o rings or gaskets there that may be causing the leaking?
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

There should be a tag on the end of the motor. Post the numbers.
  3. Kentang4

Kentang4 LawnSite Member

I just pulled the wheel motor off my turf tiger today for a similar sounding problem.

There is an oil seal around the shaft that the wheel flange fits on and mine has come out several times. When this happens it leaves puddles underneath the mower when I park it. The original seal was a pretty sloppy fit so I tried a new one and it was much tighter, however, it came out too.

After talking to a longtime friend at the local mower shop he told me that there is an internal high pressure seal in the wheel motors and when they go bad the high pressure oil can get to the outter seal and cause them to pop out. I ordered a new seal kit from J. Thomas today and will be tearing into the motor as soon as it arrives. I'll let you know how it all works out.