1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydro Gear pump problem? Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DawgGrad00, Dec 13, 2006.

1. DawgGrad00

DawgGrad00 LawnSite Member

I have a Grasshopper ZTR that has started giving me problems with one of the pumps. The other day while on a job, whenever the right lever was pushes of pulled, the tire wouldnt move and I heard only a clicking type noise. I tried changing the fluid and filter. It then would run fine for about 5 or 10 minutes and then the problem re-occurred. I found the schmatic of the pump online and have been looking at it but am unsure of which part within it may be causing the problem. Any suggestions would be great.
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Unless you are an experienced mechanic, do not attempt to rebuild this yourself. There are many parts involved, and, they must go back together just right. One slipup from inexperience, and, you may do additional damage to other parts of your hydrostatic system. Sounds like a wheel motor problem.
    What model of Grasshopper are we talking about here?
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Good post and question, Also the Hydro-Gear model numbers off the pump may be of help.
  4. DawgGrad00

It is a 2000, Model 225 Mid-Mount 61" cut. I have a good bit of experience in doing repairs. I've been doing all of my business repairs myself for the past 5 years but have never taken on a hydraulic pump before. I really appreciate your concern and help with this matter. By the way, when you said it sounded like the wheel drive, is that part in the pump itself or down around the wheel in a different location?
  5. DawgGrad00

BY the way, the numbers off of the pump are as follows:

6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe the key sheared on the wheel hub?
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

This is a possibility. The wheel motor is right behind each drive wheel, while the pumps are at the back corners on the mower and run off the drive belt at the tail of the machine.
    Are you sure the steering linkage is connected and working properly from the lever to the pump?
    Again, this is not a job for someone who has never been into a hydro motor or pump before. I have been to several factory schools on these components, and still feel like i am better off sending these to the factory for rebuild.
  8. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

He could just jack the mower up and pull the wheel then pull the hub to look at the key. Then decide what his next step will be.
  9. shsmallengines

shsmallengines LawnSite Member

I would a pressure and flow test
  10. flman

flman LawnSite Member

If this is a fairly low hour unit for the age,I think the wheel motor can be ruled out. On a 10L pump, it does not have the cooling fan like the 10A pumps do, so considering the age of the machine that is where your problem lies. Pull the pump and you will probably find the thrust washer and bearings are bad as is the pistons are galled which in turn cause the ''clicking'' sound. When you repair or replace any pump with metal transfer make sure you flush the system,on a Grasshopper make sure you clean the little in-line strainer also along with changing the filter. Re-prime system before cranking the engine or you will cost yourself money again (new pump price $400.00). Hope this helps!