1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydro-gear pumps-HELP!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by energy, Dec 9, 2003.

1. energy

energy LawnSite Member

I have two hydro-gear BDP-10A pumps that are commonly used on walk behind mowers. The two i got are IDENTICAL. I need to make one of the turned 180 degrees like the way they put it on the hydro walk behinds. I want it where the controls are pointing out while having the hoses running towards the motors to both be facing the front. Does anyone know if i can unbolt the top and rotate it 180 degrees and still work. I have a hydro mower and studied the pumps and that is what it seems like they have done in order for the controls to be pointed away from each other. Anybody that has experience or a clue, please help.
  2. I've rebuilt a gear pump and reworked some wheel motors.
    What you propose sounds right.
    What I would watch out for would be to open it up and see if the ports inside still line up when you rotate the end 180 degrees.
    It has to be kept absolutely clean. One grain of sand can destroy it. Take apart only the section you want to rotate. Peck it with a screwdriver and hammer to separate the right sections. Check the rods that bolt the pump together on the threads for signs of locktite, and put some back on if needed. When separating the pump, set it on it's end. Fewer parts fall out that way. Torque the bolts down evenly during reassembly.

But I've never worked on a WB pump. I don't know if the smaller pumps are even serviceable.
    Maybe someone will post that has experience with the motors you have.

3. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like good advice here Energy. If that doesn't work check the mounting part ( Boss ) of the pump, and see if that side can be taken apart and rotated. Some pumps are made with three sections. Front,(Boss)middle,(gear assembly)and ports end.:)
  4. energy

energy LawnSite Member

That was a lot of advise. Great to see others take the time to go through it so detailed. I took it apart rotated it and put it back together. They look just like the set on my mower. I just hope they work. I might of got a grain or two of dirt in there, how do i clean it out? Thanks for the help.
  5. It depends. If you know there is sand in it, open it and flush it out with mineral spirits. Then blow out the mineral spirits with compressed air and refill it with oil then reassemble it. If you put it back together dry it can seize.

If it's just a speck of dust or lint, it'll pass thru and get trapped by the filter.

6. floridalawncare

floridalawncare LawnSite Member

you should be able to do this no problem. be sure to get the direction of the oil flow correct. wen you turn it, you'll probably have to flip you linkage over on the outside of the pump which is not hard, but will reverse the direction of your swash plate. if the wheel motor direction does get reversed, just switch the pressure lines around. let me know if i can help.