hydro gear rebuild parts help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Ziob, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Ziob

Ziob LawnSite Member

hi guys,
    rebuilding a bdp-10a-414 pump on my exmark lazer z hp and the valve plate and cylinder block are pretty worn out......has anyone found anywhere online or even somewhere i can call and have them ship out internal replacement parts to rebuild this pump? local dealers say they can't get them and to buy a new pump...i think their full of SH**....was just going to do a seal kit on it but while i have it apart i'd like to replace these as well.

any help would be appreciated.

2. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The BDP 10A uses the same cylinder block as the more common BDP 10L..
    Take a good look at the thrust and cradle bearings before you order the parts..

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Think no more..... They ARE..... :dizzy:

5. Ziob

Ziob LawnSite Member

found the parts on ebay from a few power equipment companies relatively cheap.....took the whole pump apart all the ball bearings are fine...no bad wear or gouge marks on any of the parts, washers etc........installed new seal kit on all seals while i had it apart.....only parts i saw with some wear was the cylinder block "heads" were worn down a little and the valve plate had use marks on it from where the heads hit.......plate was still relatively smooth but i got a feeling it would start gouging soon.....for $75 bucks i figured get whole new valve plate and cylinder block kit and not have to worry about it again (knock on wood) until the mower is on its last legs.

any suggestions for determine bad enough wear on the valve plate to warrant tossing it.....or saving it as a backup.

6. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The rule of thumb on valve plates and heads on hydropumps ...is just that...
    If you can grab the groove with your thumbnail...its a reject...

7. Ziob

Ziob LawnSite Member

its not to that point yet but getting there quickly..... the pump has around 900 hours on it so while i have it apart for $75 bucks i figure miles well replace them and not have to worry about it....all other bearings were fine.