1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydro-gear transaxle slipping?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JForeback, Sep 6, 2004.

1. JForeback

JForeback LawnSite Member

I have a Craftsman 16.5 Kohler pro hydrostatic. After 45 min. to 1 hr. the trans starts slipping and making a grinding noise. I drained the fluid from the transaxle and it was a milky gray. Now I do not know what to replace it with. I was told to try 10w-30, so I did and to mower wouldn't even move. I if used 15w-50 would the thick oil help? Any suggestions short of buying a new mower would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

I my self would check with sears and then use recomended type oil. When it comes to replacing any and all part and or adjustments if possible obtain a manual and stick with the factory advisory. you will probaly have to reflush the unit now and start all over.. of course this is how one learns. payup
  3. Green Quality

Green Quality LawnSite Member

It sounds like you have water in the trans fld
  4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

After you find the right fluid to use you may have air in the system. To remove it jack up the drive wheels and start the engine. with the engine at idle move the controls to full forward for a few minutes and then full reverse for a few minutes. If a lot of air got trapped this could take up to half an hour to purge the system