Hydro-Gear ZT-3400 vs separate pumps and wheel motors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by InjuinRed, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

The Kanzaki units Deere uses have a gear reduction unit in them so they can pull the heavy Z's with relative ease. They have filters, not screens- one for each unit, and the new R models like the previous A models have the cross porting for cooling while side hill mowing, plus the large fans over each unit.

Self contained are the wave of the future IMO.

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

The more I'm hearing the more I'm liking. I don't have any at the moment so its learning for me too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Here's some pics of the two filter caps on the Kanzaki units along with the fans and cross porting lines-

100_1940.jpg

100_1938.jpg

100_1935.jpg

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Anybody have to replace one of these yet? Pumps and motors aren't too bad if you shop around. I fear these will all be proprietary and costly. I can live with that if I got 2000 hours with no worries.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Could not agree more. What are replacement cost of the combined system ?

6. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I know with Bad Boy the 5400's are $699 per side, and with pump and wheel motor they are $499ea, making them $1000 per side...

7. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

I think they are the wave of the future and make the most sense, 699 a side is good. On a Hustler HD it will cost you 15 to 16 hundred for motor and pump for a true heavier commercial unit so it is gives and takes.

If you are loading the system hard constantly I would think a Hustler HD style drive would be the way to go other than that for your average Joe a 5400 approach of just run'em use them up and replace at a lower cost.

The Hustler style drives allows you to handle more weight if need be, you could pull tow behinds with a Hustler system setup right and a current style all in one unit would not be up to that.

They can make the all in one bigger and Better, also more oil capacity and a oil cooler is always welcome if you are running real hard.

8. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Cant remember if I read it here or another site I frequent, but they were saying the new Super Z HD is really hard on turf due to the weight and touchy hydros.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

Another site? What's that all about? Are you cheating on Lawnsite?

10. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

LOL..LS will always be my girl.
    Posted via Mobile Device