Hydro-Gear ZT-3400 vs separate pumps and wheel motors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by InjuinRed, Sep 25, 2013.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Can the 5400's be rebuilt or repaired. I would think so.

2. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

I went over this with a guy who rebuilds Hydro's for a living and I told him what the Hustler HD uses and he said that was the minimum quality unit they would rebuild.

The 5400 to them are not cost effective to rebuild but you may see it differently. For what he would charge he said just by them new. He said on the Hustler it was about 60% of new to rebuild but on cheaper quality drives it was higher than that so he did not recommend it.

3. Realslowww

That is a problem with the Hustler it needs EFI! I have heard the Kaw EFI's have had issues?

4. InjuinRed

InjuinRed LawnSite Member

So back on topic for a quick second..... Im gathering its 6 one way or half a dozen the other.... Nothing that really stands out with either option.

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

It would seem so. The industry seems to heading to the compact transaxle route. Id say another decade and the seprate pump motor will be a rarity.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Realslowww

No the best seperates are clearly better but they are more expensive. I like the all in one design but builders have told me they are of no real quality compared to the best seperate units.

7. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I've spoken to many with some super high hours 5400's and they have had zero issues. Two bigger dealers have never even fixed one and sold many. I've had the 3400 and 5400's. 5400's have been perfect. I killed one 3400 at 1100 hrs. I suspect because it was pulling a cyclone rake (the biggest one).I would not say the separates are better than either. Hustler Super Z's had separates and they were a hydraulic disaster. I'm glad they switched to a super duty hydro system.

8. Realslowww

You can call and talk to people who rebuild them and they will tell you THE BEST SEPERATES ARE CLEARLY BETTER. even the new Super Z does not use the best seperates from what I have been lead to believe.

I was told all the ZTR's use lower grad systems and were not worth rebuilding but the rebuilder said that was not a problem because you can usually find the components to fix your system at a good price.

He called the ZTR grade components disposable junk but said they are cheap so they are good.

9. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

5400's are proven reliable so IMO better than any separates. One manufacturer told me less than 1% warranty claims in 4-5 years.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Realslowww

I like the whole concept alot better.