Hydro Handles Creep forward....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Jun 18, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I have an Exmark Lazer HP. When I'm sitting at a stand still (engine running) on level ground with both handles in the "stop" position, if I let go of the handles, they'll slowley creep forward and the machine will start moving forward....on it's own. If I don't touch anything, eventually the handles will contiue to move forward making the machine go progressively faster. Is this normal? Shouldn't the handles stay in the stop position when I put them there....even if I let go of them?

2. GroundsMan

GroundsMan LawnSite Member

I don't know about exmark but this sound like your hydros are leaking by which is causing it to move.

3. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

Is that normal? Machine has about 390 hrs on it. If it's not normal, is it bad?

4. GroundsMan

GroundsMan LawnSite Member

It shouldn't be normal I would take it bakc to your dealer so they can fix it. I think normal should be about 1000 hours.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Is the handles moving out of the neutral position, or is the unit simply creeping with handles in neutral? It is common to need to adj. the hydro to not drive in the neutral position. Scag has a knob that you can do it in the field. The snapper has to be jacked up and adjusted with wrenches.

6. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

The handles slowly move forward and the machine does as well.

Update!--I just checked the handles without the motor running. Climbed up on the trailer and moved the handles out of the neutral lock position and guess what. They slowly moved forward without any hydro presure! Could the dampers do this?

7. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

Yes worn dampers will cause the handles to move forward. This also leads to unnecessary force to hold the machine at a steady speed. Easy to check............Remove the damper and hand compress it, if it re-extends it is shot. I think the last dampers I bought they were in the $25 range each.

I simply removed the dampers from both of mine. Beware-without dampers or a deft hand on the controls hydro pressure can spike and blow hydro components.

8. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

not only CAN shot dampners do this, I'd say it's very likely and very very common on the lazers. In fact, I'd say that's a major gripe for many of the commercial lazer users, expensive little pieces of garbage not designed to take the load the rest of the machine can handle. How many of you have had the eyelet break off?!