1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydro knock

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ashgrove landscaping, Apr 3, 2012.

1. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Before I say anything, I've searched a ton already and am not satisfied. My left hydro pump is making a knocking sound and my ferris 2000z. Everything runs great, no weakness or pulling on either side just this knock/rattle coming from the left pump. I put my ear right up to it so I'm sure it is that one. Is the pump going bad or is there a fix?? Any thoughts/suggestions?
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Are you sure it's not the belt tensioner making the noise...I've had a similar problem on my toro and it turned out to be tensioner bolt was loose.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Pretty sure. The noise is directly on the pump. I guess Ill just wait until there is a change in performance before anything is done.
  4. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Use a long screwdriver or rod and carefully touch the parts you suspect are bad. It will give you a better idea if it's what's making the noise. Similar to a stethoscope. I actually have a stethoscope with a thin rod on the end about 20in long to listen for bearing noise in autos.
  5. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Time to put a magnet in the hydro tank....look for metal shavings
    There may be a party going on inside the pump...I've caught quite a few of them before they let go, and was able to repair them...When it stops knocking , its usually replacement time....
  6. TEKracing37

TEKracing37 LawnSite Member

I have this exact problem on my 1500z...It's only got 137 hours on it.
    I can put my hand on the left pump fan cover and feel it knocking/vibrating. It started during this last week's mow.

I bought it in May of 2009 so, i think it's out of warranty. I only use it about 50 hours per year to mow 2 acres.
    I believe the warranty was for 2 years...Do you think they should/will fix it under warranty? Should I ask?
  7. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Warraties are in years...not amount of use...
    Not saying its out of the question.....its gonna take a good conversation...
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Carl_NH

Carl_NH LawnSite Member

I have the Ferris IS2000 25/52 60 hrs now -purchased as an 09 leftover in June 2010 and noticed the hydro noise too. I did isolate it to the fans on the top of the hydro rattling at a low speed.

BUT I also am anal about fluids/dirty oil and my hydro oil had a sort of burnt smell and was as dirty as used gas engine oil. Hydro's should not have dark fluid in my opinion (my Kubota TLB was clean as new oil @ 300 hr change). So last weekend I changed out the filter with a new 51563 Hydrogear filter and 1 3/4 quarts of 15/50 Mobil one.

Also here is a link to tractor by net of another Ferris IS3100 owner - had the bearings on the bottom of the right side HydroGear pump bite the dust at 130 hours. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/general-lawn-garden/245454-hydro-gear-pj-12-pump.html

I hope there is NO corelation to dirty oil/noisy pumps/bad bearings in the 09-10 Hydrogear pumps with low hours..