Hydro Leak at hose going into pump

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhenegar, Jul 25, 2006.

1. dhenegar

dhenegar LawnSite Member

Just wondering if anyone ever had a hose leak at the fitting going into the pump. This is on a new lazer xs. Not much of a leak but it is seeping.
  2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Is this another new spanking eXmark 's problem? I think factory must have hired non-experienced workers to assemble their mowers. It seems everywhere the X has problems with their products.
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a leak somewhere but it is so small it's hard to find. I cleaned it and waiting to see where it comes from. I think its from the rubber part of the hose where it's clamped. Very hard to trace. I will probably watch it and have Exmark replace the defective lines this winter when I have it in the shop. Hustler has a life time warranty on leaks like this, something to think about.
  4. TPC Services

TPC Services LawnSite Member

ONe of two things could be wrong.
    1 either the fitting is over torqued that would make the o ring in to compresed and would seep.
    2 the o ring in the hydo line got contaminated. either or they will both need replaced
    Also see if the manual show torque speck for lines and check to make sure its torque to speck.

I work at the john deere plant in DM and we are always haveing problems with hydo lines coming to us faulty!
  5. EMWEB

EMWEB LawnSite Member

Hustler has simply gone to stainless steel lines, granted "they" do not leak. But with vibration what they do is eventually eat out the threaded connection at both ends. Your chance of doing thread repair on aluminum cast is null. Guess what this is not covered by warranty. This is why I did not buy a Hustler. If you have ss lines on your mower it would be wise to attach some rubber damper/supports. This will limit the amount of movement. BTW Prior to working as an adjuster, in my younger years I worked as an industrial instrumentation tech. Many, many miles of stainless steel tubing run. We always used "rubber" at the termination point on all rotating / vibrating equipment.
  6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Does that not just amaze you that Hustler would have a warranty like that, I don't know of or have never heard of any company that would warranty against hydraulic leaks period. I really don't know how they do it and I wish PJ would tell us their thinking on this policy, anywhere you have vibration you stand a chance of a hydraulic leak.
  7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I had the same problem on my laser z "after" I replaced the hydro filter. I thought it was the line feeding into the filter at the filter. After I cleaned all off and let it set, I discovered it was coming from the filter seal. Since the mower was not under warranty, I had crossed my OEM filter to a Baldwin filter and the seal was off just a little causing the leak. Changed the filter (using the factory recommended spec's of course) and have had no problems since.

chop chop :waving:
  8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

The Hustler factory said they warranty all hydraulic leaks, where did you get your information, from a dealer or directly from Hustler and exactly what did they tell you?
  9. EMWEB

EMWEB LawnSite Member

Hustler Customer Service told me that the "LINES" were warrantied between pumps and motors . . . .period . . .

I bought a SCAG TURF TIGER ! ! !
  10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Both good mowers, you couldn't go wrong. I think the ride is the only reason I choose the Huster over a Scag but I've got bumpy lots. Good luck with the Orange machine.