hydro leak

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ken0564, Jul 9, 2005.

1. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

17hp Kawa/Lazer Z...today hydro fluid began seeping out the top of resevoir. Checked the top, it was on tight. Service is not due and I have not recently added fluid. Level appears to be okay. Resevoir and top appear to be okay, not cracked. I have had no problem at all with system. I checked the rubber o ring/seal on the screw top, appears okay.

Any suggestions?? Thanks.

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I see this all the time on Walkers. The "Reservoir" cups on them are really just expansion tanks and not not ment to be filled all the way up. On a Walker the reservoir cups are FULL when the level is only 3/8 of an inch in the bottom of the cup. people see that low level and fill them all the way up. And when the oil gets hot and expands and runs out of the cups all over the place they think they have a leak and they do not. So first thing check the level in your unit and make sure it is not over filled. Walker uses Eaton pumps and almost all Eaton pumps have expansion tanks and not "Reservoir" cups. Check your owners manaul and see if there is a FULL line marked any where

3. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

thanks fixer for the suggest...talked to my dealer earlier this week. told me I was sucking air somewhere to check all fittings in system and filter. sure enough, filter was not snug. i snugged er up and no more leak.

4. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

Fixer67. Do you know if the simplicitys are set up that way? we have started selling a model of theirs and have very little information on them as far as things like this go. I just don't have the time to sit on the horn with a suit and tie and try to get answers. Dealers dont want to talk to us either.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you sell this unit they should come with a owners manual and your sales rep. should be able to hook you up with a service manual.

6. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

No. I work for Sears. We do things the hard way here. (for some reason)
    The owner will get a manual for the ztr but it wont tell them a whole lot. And here at Tech Support, we get about the same information as the customer on these things. I have found the Simplicity web site to be of little use as well.
    Anytime I call a dealer, I am required to tell them who I am and who I am with, then they don't want to talk to us. They are angry that we are selling the same machines they sell I guess.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I went surfing for 45mins and came up empty handed also, I think I would go to the Simplicity site and send them a email asking what can be done then maybe your corporate office sooner or later your going to need a technical service source, And the local dealers are pissed at Sears for taking on their line because they can't compete with a chain store. We had Tractor Supply 4 miles up the road take on the Cub Cadet line, We havn't been able to sell one in over a year for the same reason, Chain stores buy by the rail car load and get a cheeper price than the average dealer.

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

When at work you have to play by the rules but after work is your own time . Call from home and pretend YOUR own one or email them and pretend you lost your manual or it did not come with one. And by the way Briggs now owns them. It seems that Briggs and MTD are buying up every thing it site.