hydro lever arms question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by timmac, May 16, 2008.

1. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

My superz is really jerky. Also when I let go of the lever arms when I am mowing the do not return to the neutral position, kinda like cruise control. Is something wrong or is how they are supposed to be? thanks

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Some mowers have a plastic bushing that get gunked up over time and don't move very easily. Either take it all apart and try to clean as well as possible or replace them.

I've seen the same problem exactly how you describe it on a Bobcat mower and a Grasshopper.

3. timmac

where is that plastic bushing? Also, it has done it since it was new.

4. KatKutter

KatKutter LawnSite Member

Have had that happen on bobcats. It can be the shock dampner bad, that attaches to the control assembly under the seat. Also if the tiny square head bolt the tightens against the pump control is loose it will cause your handleing to be off. Make sure your pump bypass is not open slightly. You just have to trac form the handle to the pump and see what has play in it. Something sounds loose and is causeing you to not have the control you need. Shock dampner is where I would look first.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

The plastic bushings are on the forward pivot point on the control arm. Like the other guy said, check your pumps too.

I've seen the bushings acting too tight from new. Since they are plastic, they don't grease them, so any bit of moisture and a little rust, and they start acting crappy.

If you want a ztr mower with great controls, go try a dixie chopper. You can mow with one hand no problem and the controls are smooth as butter.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds ;like one of your dampeners has gone or is going bad (they do...not an uncommon thing). About a 20 dollar part through an online distributor.

7. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

Thats just how hustler controls are. When moving forward the levers stay put kinda like cruise control, but in reverse if you let go of the handles they should come back to neutral.

8. timmac

They do come back to neutral when you let go in reverse. The problem I am having is all the jerkiness white going forward, especially on rough terrain.

9. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

Did the mower feel like this when you got it or did it become a problem over time? How old is the mower?

10. timmac

It has felt like this since i have had it. 2 yrs. old. I drove one of my buddies super z and it is alot smoother. that is when I started thinking something was wrong.